From: mc on
My system is running XP Pro sp2 with the latest patch that I am aware of (I
have automatic download on for updates). This morning the following error
message popped up during the start up:

he instructions at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The
memory could not be written.

Cannot seem to find that error message in the Microsoft knowledge base.
Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks.
From: Bob I on
Did it reappear on a second bootup?

From: mc on
Yes, every reboot since this morning.

From: Bob I on
Usually the program that caused the error will be mentioned. Also is
something not running that usually does? Another thing is you may take a
look in event viewer for error messages. (put eventvwr.msc in the "Run box")

From: Jim on

"mc" <mc(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My system is running XP Pro sp2 with the latest patch that I am aware of
> (I
> have automatic download on for updates). This morning the following error
> message popped up during the start up:
>
> he instructions at "0x7c918fea" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The
> memory could not be written.
>
> Cannot seem to find that error message in the Microsoft knowledge base.
> Would appreciate any insight.
>
> Thanks.
7c918fea is a virtual address in user space. A program has an instruction
at the address with
referenced a virtual address at the indicated location.

It might be that the physical memory which is mapped to the virtual address
is defective and cannot be accessed.
To check this possibility, you should run a memory testers such as memtest86
(may not be completely correct name).
Search the interent for memory testers...

Jim