From: Shenan Stanley on

Steve wrote:
> The windows update works fine even if the antivirus (Avira),
> firewall (Comodo) and antispyware (Superantispyware) are turned on
> or not. I've already scaned with other softwares and i don't have
> any indication of malware. And which article is for resetting your
> windows update component? Not sure if i've tried that one. (a bit
> of information would clarify or a link).

The latter is exactly what I was thinking when responding. ;-)

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

What you are looking for:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

I would still recommend scanning with these three applications:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Also - if I am assuming what you mean by your, "The windows update works
fine even if the antivirus (Avira), firewall (Comodo) and antispyware
(Superantispyware) are turned on or not." is the *past* and not the
*current* situation? If it s the current situation, then I would guess your
issue is fixed. ;-)

I would disable (uninstall) the third party firewall for now.

I would stop SuperAntiSpyware from running for now - except for the
interactive scan I suggest.

Right before you try to update, I would also disable your AV software.

Those are common issues with updating related to such software - even if "it
worked yesterday"...

Also - what service pack is your Windows Vista?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Steve on
I'm currently using Vista 64bit Sp2.

From: Steve on
I'm also getting denied access to bits and wuauserv using cmd window.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Steve wrote:
> I'm also getting denied access to bits and wuauserv using cmd
> window.

And so you would, unless you ran the cmd prompt as administrator. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Steve on
And may i ask how is that done so?

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> > I'm also getting denied access to bits and wuauserv using cmd
> > window.
>
> And so you would, unless you ran the cmd prompt as administrator. ;-)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --