From: Darryl on
Yes, sorry, drive D: is on disk 1. That was a copy & paste error on my part.

The regular Windows Disk Management applet was used to reassign the drive
letters. That was done a year or more ago, but the Trend (since uninstalled)
update was within the last couple months.

C:\ has the OS, and some other apps. But I don't install anything new on it
because of disk space issues. Do you think the problem has to do with
insufficient space on C:, and that I should try to free up more space there?

From: MowGreen on

*** Can you manually download and manually install updates ? ***

Freeing up space on C:\ is worth a shot Darryl, but I don't think it's
going to resolve the WUA installation issue if it's stemming from a
path's issue.

1) Remove all of the update uninstall subfolders.
2) Remove the ServicePack subfolders.
3) Clean the WINDOWS\temp and your UserAccount's temp subfolders *after*
first restarting the system to ensure that anything in said subfolders
is no longer needed.
4) You could even back up the Windows\Installer subfolder to a CD or
external HD, too, if it's grown to an unwieldy size. Then move either
it's contents or the required .msp/.msi back when upgrading/updating
installed software.

From: Darryl on
Well, I think I'm going to throw in the towel and repave this machine, Mow.
I want to thank you for all the help and sticking with me for all this time
and trying to figure this one out. You went above and beyond!

From: MowGreen on
Darryl wrote:
> Well, I think I'm going to throw in the towel and repave this machine, Mow.
> I want to thank you for all the help and sticking with me for all this time
> and trying to figure this one out. You went above and beyond!

You're mowst welcome, Darryl. At least we gave it a shot. Trust me, it
was a pleasure working with someone who provides relevant information
instead of having to be constantly prodded for it.

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: Darryl on
Well finally, I'm back in business. I booted the Windows CD and did a
repair. Went pretty smoothly; did have to hunt down a driver file (.MOF?)
for the network card. Luckily was able to find it on the internet.

After everything was done, had a nasty problem with activation that took me
a few days of Googling to solve: when I logged in, it said I had to activate.
Clicked OK and then nothing happened; just showed the desktop. Turns out
that activation requires IE8. Had to download the IE8 installer from another
machine, burn it onto a CD, go into safe mode on the problem machine, and
install it. Upon rebooting after the IE8 install, the activation dialog came
up, hooray! This is the thread that showed me this solution, in case anyone
else hits the problem:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/thread/b991ce21-db5b-46eb-8c9b-f8d4aa14a35a

Once past that, ran Windows Update and installed 65 updates (since SP3)
without a hitch. Didn't lose a thing; my files, programs, desktop and all
settings are just as they were. Whew! Now if only I could get back all the
hours I spent to get back to normal ;)