From: - Bobb - on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> JD wrote:
>> - Bobb - wrote:
<snipped>

>> Ahh I see
>> You want this then IDE to 2.5 Inch drive adapter cable.
>>
>> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euronetwork-drive-laptop-adaptor-cable/dp/B000BB0DDC/ref=pd_sim_ce_1)
>> JD
>
> my mistake, this is not what you want, I saw the pic and assumed it was
> for connecting 3.5" HDD to laptop but its just another cable for putting
> laptop drive in a PC.
>
> Think your only option is to use a US HDD Caddy.
>
> JD

That would work as a secondary drive but laptop has no option to boot from
USB - not sure can install XP to external device either - at boot time it
wouldn't have USB loaded.
OK - well, thanks for trying.

From: JD on
- Bobb - wrote:
> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> JD wrote:
>>> - Bobb - wrote:
> <snipped>
>>> Ahh I see
>>> You want this then IDE to 2.5 Inch drive adapter cable.
>>>
>>> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euronetwork-drive-laptop-adaptor-cable/dp/B000BB0DDC/ref=pd_sim_ce_1)
>>> JD
>> my mistake, this is not what you want, I saw the pic and assumed it was
>> for connecting 3.5" HDD to laptop but its just another cable for putting
>> laptop drive in a PC.
>>
>> Think your only option is to use a US HDD Caddy.
>>
>> JD
>
> That would work as a secondary drive but laptop has no option to boot from
> USB - not sure can install XP to external device either - at boot time it
> wouldn't have USB loaded.
> OK - well, thanks for trying.

While Reinstalling an XP system I noticed it detected a usb key I had
plugged in, so it should find a USB HDD and to solve the laptop not
booting from USB you could use a Boot manager like say GRUB to boot to
the USB HDD from ether a floppy or CD.

JD
From: Baron on
- Bobb - Inscribed thus:

> Nephew's PC developed a bad connection where power brick goes into
> Gateway laptop and when he plugged it in, he got MBR error so my phone
> rang. I put his drive in my desktop and couldn't see the drive. I put
> back in his PC and I could boot XP CD to recovery console. I could see
> drive, but when I tried fixboot / fdisk/mbr / diags - the HDD is fried
> - most blocks are "bad blocks" when I try to format. I thought I try
> an old drive, but then realized that I gave away the old (small) IDE
> laptop drives that I had, so before buying a new laptop drive, I'd
> like to make sure that the rest of PC is OK.
>
> Gateway disk connector is female 2.5 " IDE. I have plenty of 3.5 inch
> IDE drives and figured maybe I could use one of them to install /
> check out his
> PC. I checked and have various 3.5" adapters but not a male 2.5 to
> 3.5" adapter. Anyone know where I can get one? Google only got me 2.5
> to 3.5 inch
> adapters and none with a male 2.5" end. Even a 2.5 inch male to male
> connector would work
>
> Before you say " why would you want to hook up a big drive as a
> primary laptop drive ?" It would be just to hook it up, do an XP
> install and run it a while before spending $75 on a laptop drive only
> to find out it won't
> work. (He bought it used and has no CD. Would my full copy of XP
> install on his Gateway if I use his license? If not - then no need for
> new drive either.)

Stick a Linux live CD in the drive and boot from that.
If it all works as expected then you just need a new HDD.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: Baron on
JD Inscribed thus:

> - Bobb - wrote:
>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> <snipped>

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euronetwork-drive-laptop-adaptor-cable/dp/B000BB0DDC/ref=pd_sim_ce_1)
>>> my mistake, this is not what you want, I saw the pic and assumed it
>>> was for connecting 3.5" HDD to laptop but its just another cable for
>>> putting laptop drive in a PC.
>>>
>>> Think your only option is to use a US HDD Caddy.
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> That would work as a secondary drive but laptop has no option to boot
>> from
>> USB - not sure can install XP to external device either - at boot
>> time it wouldn't have USB loaded.

See below.

>> OK - well, thanks for trying.
>>

> While Reinstalling an XP system I noticed it detected a usb key I had
> plugged in, so it should find a USB HDD and to solve the laptop not
> booting from USB you could use a Boot manager like say GRUB to boot to
> the USB HDD from ether a floppy or CD.
>
> JD

Not so ! If the BIOS on the machine can use USB to boot it isn't a
problem. XP will look at and enumerate all devices it finds on
instalation.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: JD on
Baron wrote:

> Not so ! If the BIOS on the machine can use USB to boot it isn't a
> problem. XP will look at and enumerate all devices it finds on
> instalation.

I'm not sure what you mean here, I did a little experiment, using a mobo
that does not have the boot from USB or boot from other devices option:

using XP SP2 I can see and install to an external hard drive
using Plop boot manager I can see and boot from a USB device (it ignores
the BIOS)

For PLOP download this:
http://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.5.zip
unzip and burn the plpbt.iso