From: - Bobb - on
Nephew's PC developed a bad connection where power brick goes into Gateway
laptop and when he plugged it in, he got MBR error so my phone rang.
I put his drive in my desktop and couldn't see the drive. I put back in his
PC and I could boot XP CD to recovery console. I could see drive, but when I
tried fixboot / fdisk/mbr / diags - the HDD is fried - most blocks are "bad
blocks" when I try to format. I thought I try an old drive, but then
realized that I gave away the old (small) IDE laptop drives that I had, so
before buying a new laptop drive, I'd like to make sure that the rest of PC
is OK.

Gateway disk connector is female 2.5 " IDE. I have plenty of 3.5 inch IDE
drives and figured maybe I could use one of them to install / check out his
PC. I checked and have various 3.5" adapters but not a male 2.5 to 3.5"
adapter. Anyone know where I can get one? Google only got me 2.5 to 3.5 inch
adapters and none with a male 2.5" end. Even a 2.5 inch male to male
connector would work

Before you say " why would you want to hook up a big drive as a primary
laptop drive ?" It would be just to hook it up, do an XP install and run it
a while before spending $75 on a laptop drive only to find out it won't
work. (He bought it used and has no CD. Would my full copy of XP install on
his Gateway if I use his license? If not - then no need for new drive
either.)

From: JD on
- Bobb - wrote:
> Nephew's PC developed a bad connection where power brick goes into Gateway
> laptop and when he plugged it in, he got MBR error so my phone rang.
> I put his drive in my desktop and couldn't see the drive. I put back in his
> PC and I could boot XP CD to recovery console. I could see drive, but when I
> tried fixboot / fdisk/mbr / diags - the HDD is fried - most blocks are "bad
> blocks" when I try to format. I thought I try an old drive, but then
> realized that I gave away the old (small) IDE laptop drives that I had, so
> before buying a new laptop drive, I'd like to make sure that the rest of PC
> is OK.
>
> Gateway disk connector is female 2.5 " IDE. I have plenty of 3.5 inch IDE
> drives and figured maybe I could use one of them to install / check out his
> PC. I checked and have various 3.5" adapters but not a male 2.5 to 3.5"
> adapter. Anyone know where I can get one? Google only got me 2.5 to 3.5 inch
> adapters and none with a male 2.5" end. Even a 2.5 inch male to male
> connector would work
>
> Before you say " why would you want to hook up a big drive as a primary
> laptop drive ?" It would be just to hook it up, do an XP install and run it
> a while before spending $75 on a laptop drive only to find out it won't
> work. (He bought it used and has no CD. Would my full copy of XP install on
> his Gateway if I use his license? If not - then no need for new drive
> either.)

Hi Bobb
What about using a Live CD instead, or booting from a usb stick ?

JD
From: - Bobb - on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>- Bobb - wrote:
>> Nephew's PC developed a bad connection where power brick goes into
>> Gateway laptop and when he plugged it in, he got MBR error so my phone
>> rang.
>> I put his drive in my desktop and couldn't see the drive. I put back in
>> his PC and I could boot XP CD to recovery console. I could see drive, but
>> when I tried fixboot / fdisk/mbr / diags - the HDD is fried - most blocks
>> are "bad blocks" when I try to format. I thought I try an old drive, but
>> then realized that I gave away the old (small) IDE laptop drives that I
>> had, so before buying a new laptop drive, I'd like to make sure that the
>> rest of PC is OK.
>>
>> Gateway disk connector is female 2.5 " IDE. I have plenty of 3.5 inch IDE
>> drives and figured maybe I could use one of them to install / check out
>> his PC. I checked and have various 3.5" adapters but not a male 2.5 to
>> 3.5" adapter. Anyone know where I can get one? Google only got me 2.5 to
>> 3.5 inch adapters and none with a male 2.5" end. Even a 2.5 inch male to
>> male connector would work
>>
>> Before you say " why would you want to hook up a big drive as a primary
>> laptop drive ?" It would be just to hook it up, do an XP install and run
>> it a while before spending $75 on a laptop drive only to find out it
>> won't work. (He bought it used and has no CD. Would my full copy of XP
>> install on his Gateway if I use his license? If not - then no need for
>> new drive either.)
>>

> Hi Bobb
> What about using a Live CD instead, or booting from a usb stick ?
>
> JD

I did boot/ use Knoppix CD - PC worked , but not useful to owner that way
though.
Need to know about XP license issue too. So I'd like to let it run XP for a
while (using a spare IDE drive) before spending the money
( pc owner wants XP on the laptop so I'd like to make it work on a table
first)

From: JD on
- Bobb - wrote:
> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> - Bobb - wrote:
>>> Nephew's PC developed a bad connection where power brick goes into
>>> Gateway laptop and when he plugged it in, he got MBR error so my phone
>>> rang.
>>> I put his drive in my desktop and couldn't see the drive. I put back in
>>> his PC and I could boot XP CD to recovery console. I could see drive, but
>>> when I tried fixboot / fdisk/mbr / diags - the HDD is fried - most blocks
>>> are "bad blocks" when I try to format. I thought I try an old drive, but
>>> then realized that I gave away the old (small) IDE laptop drives that I
>>> had, so before buying a new laptop drive, I'd like to make sure that the
>>> rest of PC is OK.
>>>
>>> Gateway disk connector is female 2.5 " IDE. I have plenty of 3.5 inch IDE
>>> drives and figured maybe I could use one of them to install / check out
>>> his PC. I checked and have various 3.5" adapters but not a male 2.5 to
>>> 3.5" adapter. Anyone know where I can get one? Google only got me 2.5 to
>>> 3.5 inch adapters and none with a male 2.5" end. Even a 2.5 inch male to
>>> male connector would work
>>>
>>> Before you say " why would you want to hook up a big drive as a primary
>>> laptop drive ?" It would be just to hook it up, do an XP install and run
>>> it a while before spending $75 on a laptop drive only to find out it
>>> won't work. (He bought it used and has no CD. Would my full copy of XP
>>> install on his Gateway if I use his license? If not - then no need for
>>> new drive either.)
>>>

>> Hi Bobb
>> What about using a Live CD instead, or booting from a usb stick ?
>>
>> JD
>
> I did boot/ use Knoppix CD - PC worked , but not useful to owner that way
> though.
> Need to know about XP license issue too. So I'd like to let it run XP for a
> while (using a spare IDE drive) before spending the money
> ( pc owner wants XP on the laptop so I'd like to make it work on a table
> first)

Ahh I see
You want this then IDE to 2.5 Inch drive adapter cable.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euronetwork-drive-laptop-adaptor-cable/dp/B000BB0DDC/ref=pd_sim_ce_1)

JD
From: JD on
JD wrote:
> - Bobb - wrote:
>> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi Bobb
>>> What about using a Live CD instead, or booting from a usb stick ?
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> I did boot/ use Knoppix CD - PC worked , but not useful to owner that
>> way though.
>> Need to know about XP license issue too. So I'd like to let it run XP
>> for a while (using a spare IDE drive) before spending the money
>> ( pc owner wants XP on the laptop so I'd like to make it work on a
>> table first)
>>

> Ahh I see
> You want this then IDE to 2.5 Inch drive adapter cable.
>
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Euronetwork-drive-laptop-adaptor-cable/dp/B000BB0DDC/ref=pd_sim_ce_1)
>

> JD

my mistake, this is not what you want, I saw the pic and assumed it was
for connecting 3.5" HDD to laptop but its just another cable for putting
laptop drive in a PC.

Think your only option is to use a US HDD Caddy.

JD
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Dial-up problem