From: Baron on
JD Inscribed thus:

> Baron wrote:
>

>> Not so ! If the BIOS on the machine can use USB to boot it isn't a
>> problem. XP will look at and enumerate all devices it finds on
>> instalation.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean here, I did a little experiment, using a
> mobo that does not have the boot from USB or boot from other devices
> option:
>
> using XP SP2 I can see and install to an external hard drive
> using Plop boot manager I can see and boot from a USB device (it
> ignores the BIOS)
>
> For PLOP download this:
> http://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.5.zip
> unzip and burn the plpbt.iso
>
> Insert the CD and select boot from USB.
>
> hope that helps
>
> JD

Sorry I wasn't very clear. At boot time, the BIOS has to be able to
boot from USB in order to use it as a boot device. Once the OS has
taken over it can see the USB device for itself.

Fortunately most modern machines can boot from USB.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: JD on
Baron wrote:
> JD Inscribed thus:
>
>> Baron wrote:
>>
>>> Not so ! If the BIOS on the machine can use USB to boot it isn't a
>>> problem. XP will look at and enumerate all devices it finds on
>>> instalation.
>>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean here, I did a little experiment, using a
>> mobo that does not have the boot from USB or boot from other devices
>> option:
>>
>> using XP SP2 I can see and install to an external hard drive
>> using Plop boot manager I can see and boot from a USB device (it
>> ignores the BIOS)
>>
>> For PLOP download this:
>> http://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.5.zip
>> unzip and burn the plpbt.iso
>>
>> Insert the CD and select boot from USB.
>>
>> hope that helps
>>
>> JD
>
> Sorry I wasn't very clear. At boot time, the BIOS has to be able to
> boot from USB in order to use it as a boot device. Once the OS has
> taken over it can see the USB device for itself.
>
> Fortunately most modern machines can boot from USB.

Ahh I see, But what I have been explaining is how to Boot from USB
device without the ability to boot from a USB device (from BIOS).

You Can ignore The BIOS and boot to USB from a Boot Loader, the method I
described in the previous post is how to do it, As long as XP can
recognize and Install to the USB device then you can use it.

If you can boot form ether floppy or CD then the method I described in
the previous post should work without any problems, on the condition you
can install to USB device.

JD
From: Baron on
JD Inscribed thus:

> Baron wrote:
>> JD Inscribed thus:

>>> I'm not sure what you mean here, I did a little experiment, using a
>>> mobo that does not have the boot from USB or boot from other devices
>>> option:
>>>
>>> using XP SP2 I can see and install to an external hard drive
>>> using Plop boot manager I can see and boot from a USB device (it
>>> ignores the BIOS)
>>>
>>> For PLOP download this:
>>> http://download.plop.at/files/bootmngr/plpbt-5.0.5.zip
>>> unzip and burn the plpbt.iso
>>>
>>> Insert the CD and select boot from USB.
>>>
>>> hope that helps
>>>
>>> JD
>>
>> Sorry I wasn't very clear. At boot time, the BIOS has to be able to
>> boot from USB in order to use it as a boot device. Once the OS has
>> taken over it can see the USB device for itself.
>>
>> Fortunately most modern machines can boot from USB.
>>

> Ahh I see, But what I have been explaining is how to Boot from USB
> device without the ability to boot from a USB device (from BIOS).
>
> You Can ignore The BIOS and boot to USB from a Boot Loader, the method
> I described in the previous post is how to do it, As long as XP can
> recognize and Install to the USB device then you can use it.
>
> If you can boot form ether floppy or CD then the method I described in
> the previous post should work without any problems, on the condition
> you can install to USB device.
>
> JD

Ah ! Right. I misinterpreted what you were saying.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.