From: Mark Goodge on
richard lucassen wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:57:41 +0000
> Mark Goodge <mark(a)good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000
>>> recipients. I can set smtpd_recipient_limit and
>>> smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to higher limits, but is there a
>>> better way to handle this?

>> Yes. Install a proper mailing list management system, such as Mailman
>> or majordomo. 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single
>> shot using Bcc.
>
> Ok, but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO, just wondering if there was
> an intermediate solution. This is for a blind person who handles the
> "mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.
>
> But anyway, I can always write a small shell script that does the job.
> Should not be a very big problem.

Your biggest problem, with that number of recipients, is handling
bounces and unsubscriptions. Splitting the recipients into chunks is
easy enough, but dealing with all the invalid and/or expired addresses
is what makes it more complex. And if you don't handle them correctly,
then you're getting into dangerous territory - that's where legitimate
lists start being treated as spam, especially if any of the recipients
have addresses with the major webmail operators such as Hotmail and Yahoo.

Most decent MLMs allow you to import subscribers from a simple text
list, so from a user point of view it's no harder (and often easier)
than maintaining it in the addressbook of an email client for Bcc
purposes. It's more complex for the administrator, but if you're
competent enough to administer Postfix then it's hardly likely to be a
problem for you!

Mark

From: Kenneth Marshall on
On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 09:14:03PM +0100, richard lucassen wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:57:41 +0000
> Mark Goodge <mark(a)good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000
> > > recipients. I can set smtpd_recipient_limit and
> > > smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to higher limits, but is there a
> > > better way to handle this?
> >
> > Yes. Install a proper mailing list management system, such as Mailman
> > or majordomo. 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single
> > shot using Bcc.
>
> Ok, but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO, just wondering if there was
> an intermediate solution. This is for a blind person who handles the
> "mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.
>
> But anyway, I can always write a small shell script that does the job.
> Should not be a very big problem.
>
> R.

What about using an aliases entry to read the addresses from a file:

mylist: :include:/file/name
mylist-owner: listowner

Then the user just needs permission to update the file and mail
to mylist will be broken out to the addresses in /file/name.

Regards,
Ken

From: Kenneth Marshall on
On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 08:23:50PM +0000, Mark Goodge wrote:
> richard lucassen wrote:
>
>>> Yes. Install a proper mailing list management system, such as Mailman
>>> or majordomo. 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single
>>> shot using Bcc.
>> Ok, but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO, just wondering if there was
>> an intermediate solution. This is for a blind person who handles the
>> "mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.
>> But anyway, I can always write a small shell script that does the job.
>> Should not be a very big problem.
>
> Your biggest problem, with that number of recipients, is handling bounces
> and unsubscriptions. Splitting the recipients into chunks is easy enough,
> but dealing with all the invalid and/or expired addresses is what makes it
> more complex. And if you don't handle them correctly, then you're getting
> into dangerous territory - that's where legitimate lists start being
> treated as spam, especially if any of the recipients have addresses with
> the major webmail operators such as Hotmail and Yahoo.
>
> Most decent MLMs allow you to import subscribers from a simple text list,
> so from a user point of view it's no harder (and often easier) than
> maintaining it in the addressbook of an email client for Bcc purposes. It's
> more complex for the administrator, but if you're competent enough to
> administer Postfix then it's hardly likely to be a problem for you!
>
> Mark

I will second that using a real MLM is usually a much, much better option
that will allow you to prevent collateral damage to your mail reputation
when there is a delivery problem. For example, when using the aliases
option, you should only allow the one address/user to send mail to the
alias or you open up an avenue for spammers to abuse your system.

Regards,
Ken

From: richard lucassen on
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:28:11 -0600
Kenneth Marshall <ktm(a)rice.edu> wrote:

[mlm]

> I will second that using a real MLM is usually a much, much better
> option that will allow you to prevent collateral damage to your mail
> reputation when there is a delivery problem. For example, when using
> the aliases option, you should only allow the one address/user to send
> mail to the alias or you open up an avenue for spammers to abuse your
> system.

Ok, thanks guys, you have convinced me to use a mlm. I'll dive into that
matter. I've only played with ezmlm some 10 years ago when I was using
qmail, but I haven't looked at these mlm's ever since.

Which mlm would you recommend to use for this purpose? I use Debian
Lenny with (of course) Postfix.

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht |
| Public key and email address: |
| http://www.lucassen.org/mail-pubkey.html |

From: Mark Goodge on
richard lucassen wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:28:11 -0600
> Kenneth Marshall <ktm(a)rice.edu> wrote:
>
> [mlm]
>
>> I will second that using a real MLM is usually a much, much better
>> option that will allow you to prevent collateral damage to your mail
>> reputation when there is a delivery problem. For example, when using
>> the aliases option, you should only allow the one address/user to send
>> mail to the alias or you open up an avenue for spammers to abuse your
>> system.
>
> Ok, thanks guys, you have convinced me to use a mlm. I'll dive into that
> matter. I've only played with ezmlm some 10 years ago when I was using
> qmail, but I haven't looked at these mlm's ever since.
>
> Which mlm would you recommend to use for this purpose? I use Debian
> Lenny with (of course) Postfix.

My personal preference is Mailman. I run that on Debian with Postfix,
and it was pretty simple to install.

Mark