From: richard lucassen on
Hello list,

I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000 recipients. I
can set smtpd_recipient_limit and smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to
higher limits, but is there a better way to handle this?

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht |
| Public key and email address: |
| http://www.lucassen.org/mail-pubkey.html |

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* richard lucassen <postfix-users(a)cloud9.net>:
> I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000 recipients. I
> can set smtpd_recipient_limit and smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to
> higher limits, but is there a better way to handle this?

Chosse a client/write a script that breaks the list of 3.000 recipients down
to batches of 50 recipients. IIRC that's the maximum (RFC) number of
recipients any SMTP server must accept.

p(a)rick

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

From: Mark Goodge on
richard lucassen wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000 recipients. I
> can set smtpd_recipient_limit and smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to
> higher limits, but is there a better way to handle this?

Yes. Install a proper mailing list management system, such as Mailman or
majordomo. 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single shot
using Bcc.

Mark

From: richard lucassen on
On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 20:50:21 +0100
Patrick Ben Koetter <p(a)state-of-mind.de> wrote:

> * richard lucassen <postfix-users(a)cloud9.net>:
> > I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000
> > recipients. I can set smtpd_recipient_limit and
> > smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to higher limits, but is there a
> > better way to handle this?
>
> Chosse a client/write a script that breaks the list of 3.000
> recipients down to batches of 50 recipients. IIRC that's the maximum
> (RFC) number of recipients any SMTP server must accept.

That was the first solution that I thought of, but before reinventing
the wheel, I was wondering if someone else had already invented this
wheel :)

Btw: the defaultsettings of smtpd_recipient_limit and
smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit are as high as 1000.

From: richard lucassen on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:57:41 +0000
Mark Goodge <mark(a)good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

> > I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000
> > recipients. I can set smtpd_recipient_limit and
> > smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to higher limits, but is there a
> > better way to handle this?
>
> Yes. Install a proper mailing list management system, such as Mailman
> or majordomo. 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single
> shot using Bcc.

Ok, but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO, just wondering if there was
an intermediate solution. This is for a blind person who handles the
"mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.

But anyway, I can always write a small shell script that does the job.
Should not be a very big problem.