From: ram on
On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 20:37 +0100, richard lucassen wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000 recipients. I
> can set smtpd_recipient_limit and smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to
> higher limits, but is there a better way to handle this?
>
> R.

Do these 3000 recipients exist on your server or outside ?

If outside and this is a common mail being sent to all users , then just
set your postfix server to accept the mail , send the mails in smaller
batches of 10 recipients each.
( default_destination_recipient_limit=10 ? )

Handling bounces,abuse complaints etc will have to be managed

From: LuKreme on

On Jan 3, 2010, at 13:14, richard lucassen <mailinglists(a)lucassen.org>
wrote:

> but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO

An mlm is certainly not overkill for 3,000 recipients.

From: Ralf Hildebrandt on
* richard lucassen <mailinglists(a)lucassen.org>:
> Hello list,
>
> I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000 recipients. I
> can set smtpd_recipient_limit and smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to
> higher limits, but is there a better way to handle this?

Use an MLM

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

From: Kenneth Marshall on
On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 10:00:32PM +0100, richard lucassen wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:28:11 -0600
> Kenneth Marshall <ktm(a)rice.edu> wrote:
>
> [mlm]
>
> > I will second that using a real MLM is usually a much, much better
> > option that will allow you to prevent collateral damage to your mail
> > reputation when there is a delivery problem. For example, when using
> > the aliases option, you should only allow the one address/user to send
> > mail to the alias or you open up an avenue for spammers to abuse your
> > system.
>
> Ok, thanks guys, you have convinced me to use a mlm. I'll dive into that
> matter. I've only played with ezmlm some 10 years ago when I was using
> qmail, but I haven't looked at these mlm's ever since.
>
> Which mlm would you recommend to use for this purpose? I use Debian
> Lenny with (of course) Postfix.
>
> R.

I will chime in with a recommendation for mailman. It is easy to
setup and run.

Ken

From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby on
> richard lucassen <mailinglists(a)lucassen.org> :
> This is for a blind person who handles the
> "mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.

Installing a MLM is quite easy although on a Windows Family box.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36