From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz on
richard lucassen wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:28:11 -0600
> Kenneth Marshall <ktm(a)rice.edu> wrote:
>
> [mlm]
>
>> I will second that using a real MLM is usually a much, much better
>> option that will allow you to prevent collateral damage to your mail
>> reputation when there is a delivery problem. For example, when using
>> the aliases option, you should only allow the one address/user to send
>> mail to the alias or you open up an avenue for spammers to abuse your
>> system.
>
> Ok, thanks guys, you have convinced me to use a mlm. I'll dive into that
> matter. I've only played with ezmlm some 10 years ago when I was using
> qmail, but I haven't looked at these mlm's ever since.
>
> Which mlm would you recommend to use for this purpose? I use Debian
> Lenny with (of course) Postfix.

Sympa ?

http://www.sympa.org

JM

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* richard lucassen <postfix-users(a)cloud9.net>:
> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:28:11 -0600
> Kenneth Marshall <ktm(a)rice.edu> wrote:
>
> [mlm]
>
> > I will second that using a real MLM is usually a much, much better
> > option that will allow you to prevent collateral damage to your mail
> > reputation when there is a delivery problem. For example, when using
> > the aliases option, you should only allow the one address/user to send
> > mail to the alias or you open up an avenue for spammers to abuse your
> > system.
>
> Ok, thanks guys, you have convinced me to use a mlm. I'll dive into that
> matter. I've only played with ezmlm some 10 years ago when I was using
> qmail, but I haven't looked at these mlm's ever since.
>
> Which mlm would you recommend to use for this purpose? I use Debian
> Lenny with (of course) Postfix.

Use mailman and configure mailman to produce alias files for Postfix. Make
Postfix a member of the group "list". Then link the alias file from your main.cf.

p(a)rick

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

>> Kenneth Marshall <ktm(a)rice.edu> wrote:
>>
>> [mlm]
>>
>>> I will second that using a real MLM is usually a much, much better
>>> option that will allow you to prevent collateral damage to your mail
>>> reputation when there is a delivery problem. For example, when using
>>> the aliases option, you should only allow the one address/user to send
>>> mail to the alias or you open up an avenue for spammers to abuse your
>>> system.
>>
>> Ok, thanks guys, you have convinced me to use a mlm. I'll dive into that
>> matter. I've only played with ezmlm some 10 years ago when I was using
>> qmail, but I haven't looked at these mlm's ever since.
>>
>> Which mlm would you recommend to use for this purpose? I use Debian
>> Lenny with (of course) Postfix.
>
> Sympa ?
>
> http://www.sympa.org
>
> JM

I used sympa for years - great software, but maybe an overkill in this case.
however - it handles bounces nicely...

- Vadim

From: Glenn English on

On Jan 3, 2010, at 1:14 PM, richard lucassen wrote:

>> 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single
>> shot using Bcc.
>
> Ok, but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO, just wondering if there was
> an intermediate solution. This is for a blind person who handles the
> "mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.

I know nothing about your situation, but "blind" caught my attention. Over the past couple years, I wrote a program to try to interface some blind kids to a computer, at a pretty basic level and for a specific set of tasks -- http://www.auraluserinterface.com. The kids in TX were quite empowered by it, even though it's far from ready for prime time. If you think it might help the list manager, let me know and I'll see if I can't make it run mailman list adds and deletes via ssh or http...

--
Glenn English
ghe(a)slsware.com

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* Glenn English <ghe(a)slsware.com>:

> On Jan 3, 2010, at 1:14 PM, richard lucassen wrote:
>
> >> 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single
> >> shot using Bcc.
> >
> > Ok, but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO, just wondering if there was
> > an intermediate solution. This is for a blind person who handles the
> > "mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.
>
> I know nothing about your situation, but "blind" caught my attention. Over
> the past couple years, I wrote a program to try to interface some blind kids
> to a computer, at a pretty basic level and for a specific set of tasks --
> http://www.auraluserinterface.com. The kids in TX were quite empowered by
> it, even though it's far from ready for prime time. If you think it might
> help the list manager, let me know and I'll see if I can't make it run
> mailman list adds and deletes via ssh or http...

Mailman 3 will have a web interface that adheres Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines (WCAG). We're at the very beginning, but it is on the roadmap.