From: Andi Kleen on
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:22:58PM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
> > I'm just worried there is still an underlying problem here.
>
> So am I. What caused the breakage that requires this patchset?

Memory hotadd with a new node being onlined.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Pekka Enberg on
Andi Kleen kirjoitti:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:22:58PM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just worried there is still an underlying problem here.
>> So am I. What caused the breakage that requires this patchset?
>
> Memory hotadd with a new node being onlined.

So can you post the oops, please? Right now I am looking at zapping the
series from slab.git due to NAKs from both Christoph and Nick.

Pekka
From: Pekka Enberg on
Christoph Lameter kirjoitti:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
>>> How, may I ask? cpuup_prepare in the hotplug notifier should always
>>> run before start_cpu_timer.
>> I'm not fully sure, but I have the oops to prove it :)
>
> I still suspect that this has something to do with Pekka's changing the
> boot order for allocator bootstrap. Can we clarify why these problems
> exist before we try band aid?

I don't see how my changes broke things but maybe I'm not looking hard
enough. Cache reaping is still setup from cpucache_init() which is an
initcall which is not affected by my changes AFAICT and from
cpuup_callback() which shoulda also not be affected.

Pekka
From: Andi Kleen on
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:53:27PM +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Andi Kleen kirjoitti:

>>> So am I. What caused the breakage that requires this patchset?
>>
>> Memory hotadd with a new node being onlined.
>
> So can you post the oops, please? Right now I am looking at zapping the

I can't post the oops from a pre-release system.

> series from slab.git due to NAKs from both Christoph and Nick.

Huh? They just complained about the patch, not the whole series.
I don't understand how that could prompt you to drop the whole series.

As far as I know nobody said the patch is wrong so far, just
that they wanted to have more analysis.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Pekka Enberg on
Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:53:27PM +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
>> Andi Kleen kirjoitti:

>>> Memory hotadd with a new node being onlined.
>> So can you post the oops, please? Right now I am looking at zapping the
>
> I can't post the oops from a pre-release system.
>
>> series from slab.git due to NAKs from both Christoph and Nick.
>
> Huh? They just complained about the patch, not the whole series.
> I don't understand how that could prompt you to drop the whole series.

Yeah, I meant the non-ACK'd patches. Sorry for the confusion.