From: Andi Kleen on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 02:35:24PM +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Andi Kleen <andi(a)firstfloor.org> wrote:

> >> Andi?
> >
> > Well if Christoph wants to submit a better patch that is tested and solves
> > the problems he can do that.
>
> Sure.
>
> > if he doesn't then I think my patch kit which has been tested
> > is the best alternative currently.
>
> So do you expect me to merge your patches over his objections?

Let's put it like this: i'm sure there a myriad different
way in all the possible design spaces to change slab to
make memory hotadd work.

Unless someone gives me a strong reason (e.g. code as submitted
doesn't work or is really unclean) I'm not very motivated to try them
all (also given that slab.c is really legacy code that will
hopefully go away at some point).

Also there are still other bugs to fix in memory hotadd and I'm focussing
my efforts on that.

I don't think the patches I submitted are particularly intrusive or
unclean or broken.

As far as I can see Christoph's proposal was just another way
to do this, but it wasn't clear to me it was better enough
in any way to spend significant time on it.

So yes I would prefer if you merged them as submitted just
to fix the bugs. If someone else comes up with a better way
to do this and submits patches they could still change
to that later.

As for the timer race patch: I cannot make a strong
argument right now that it's needed, on the other hand
a bit of defensive programming also doesn't hurt. But
if that one is not in I won't cry.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Christoph Lameter on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Memory hotplug with node add never quite worked on x86 before,
> for various reasons not related to slab.

Ok but why did things break in such a big way?

From: Christoph Lameter on

I mean why the core changes if this is an x86 issue?

From: Andi Kleen on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:05:48AM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I mean why the core changes if this is an x86 issue?

The slab bugs are in no way related to x86, other than x86 supporting
memory hotadd & numa.

I only wrote "on x86" because I wasn't sure about the status on the other
platforms.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Andi Kleen on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:04:56AM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > Memory hotplug with node add never quite worked on x86 before,
> > for various reasons not related to slab.
>
> Ok but why did things break in such a big way?

1) numa memory hotadd never worked
2) the rest just bitrotted because nobody tested it.

-Andi
--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.