From: Christoph Lameter on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > Memory hotplug with node add never quite worked on x86 before,
> > > for various reasons not related to slab.
> >
> > Ok but why did things break in such a big way?
>
> 1) numa memory hotadd never worked

Well Kamesan indicated that this worked if a cpu became online.

> 2) the rest just bitrotted because nobody tested it.

Yep. David: Can you revise the relevant portions of the patchset and
repost it?

From: Andi Kleen on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:24:50AM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > > Ok but why did things break in such a big way?
> >
> > 1) numa memory hotadd never worked
>
> Well Kamesan indicated that this worked if a cpu became online.

I mean in the general case. There were tons of problems all over.

-Andi
--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: David Rientjes on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > 1) numa memory hotadd never worked
>
> Well Kamesan indicated that this worked if a cpu became online.

That may be true, but it doesn't address hotpluggable
ACPI_SRAT_MEM_HOT_PLUGGABLE entries for CONFIG_MEMORY_HOTPLUG_SPARSE where
no cpus are being onlined or writing to /sys/devices/system/memory/probe
for CONFIG_ARCH_MEMORY_PROBE.

> > 2) the rest just bitrotted because nobody tested it.
>
> Yep. David: Can you revise the relevant portions of the patchset and
> repost it?

Ok.
From: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki on
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:31:15 +0100
Andi Kleen <andi(a)firstfloor.org> wrote:

> > > 1) numa memory hotadd never worked
> >
> > Well Kamesan indicated that this worked if a cpu became online.
>
> I mean in the general case. There were tons of problems all over.

Then, it's cpu hotplug matter, not memory hotplug.
cpu hotplug callback should prepaare

l3 = searchp->nodelists[node];
BUG_ON(!l3);

before onlined. Rather than taking care of races.

Thanks,
-Kame

From: David Rientjes on
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> > > Well Kamesan indicated that this worked if a cpu became online.
> >
> > I mean in the general case. There were tons of problems all over.
> >
> Then, it's cpu hotplug matter, not memory hotplug.
> cpu hotplug callback should prepaare
>

> l3 = searchp->nodelists[node];
> BUG_ON(!l3);
>
> before onlined. Rather than taking care of races.

I can only speak for x86 and not the abundance of memory hotplug support
that exists for powerpc, but cpu hotplug doesn't do _anything_ when a
memory region that has a corresponding ACPI_SRAT_MEM_HOT_PLUGGABLE entry
in the SRAT is hotadded and requires a new nodeid. That can be triggered
via the acpi layer with plug and play or explicitly from the command line
via CONFIG_ARCH_MEMORY_PROBE.

Relying on cpu hotplug to set up nodelists in such a circumstance simply
won't work. You need memory hotplug support such as in my patch.