From: Andi Kleen on
On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 06:11:03PM +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Andi Kleen wrote:

>>> So can you post the oops, please? Right now I am looking at zapping the
>>
>> I can't post the oops from a pre-release system.
>>
>>> series from slab.git due to NAKs from both Christoph and Nick.
>>
>> Huh? They just complained about the patch, not the whole series.
>> I don't understand how that could prompt you to drop the whole series.
>
> Yeah, I meant the non-ACK'd patches. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok it's fine for me to drop that patch for now. I'll try to reproduce
that oops and if I can't then it might be just not needed.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Christoph Lameter on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:22:58PM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Nick Piggin wrote:
> >
> > > I'm just worried there is still an underlying problem here.
> >
> > So am I. What caused the breakage that requires this patchset?
>
> Memory hotadd with a new node being onlined.

That used to work fine.

From: Pekka Enberg on
Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Andi Kleen wrote:

>>> So am I. What caused the breakage that requires this patchset?
>> Memory hotadd with a new node being onlined.
>
> That used to work fine.

OK, can we get this issue resolved? The merge window is open and
Christoph seems to be unhappy with the whole patch queue. I'd hate this
bug fix to miss .34...

Pekka
From: David Rientjes on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> > > Memory hotadd with a new node being onlined.
> >
> > That used to work fine.
>
> OK, can we get this issue resolved? The merge window is open and Christoph
> seems to be unhappy with the whole patch queue. I'd hate this bug fix to miss
> .34...

I don't see how memory hotadd with a new node being onlined could have
worked fine before since slab lacked any memory hotplug notifier until
Andi just added it.

That said, I think the first and fourth patch in this series may be
unnecessary if slab's notifier were to call slab_node_prepare() on
MEM_GOING_ONLINE instead of MEM_ONLINE. Otherwise, kswapd is already
running, the zonelists for the new pgdat have been initialized, and the
bit has been set in node_states[N_HIGH_MEMORY] without allocated
cachep->nodelists[node] memory.
From: Christoph Lameter on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Pekka Enberg wrote:

> OK, can we get this issue resolved? The merge window is open and Christoph
> seems to be unhappy with the whole patch queue. I'd hate this bug fix to miss
> .34...

Merge window? These are bugs that have to be fixed independently from a
merge window. The question is if this is the right approach or if there is
other stuff still lurking because we are not yet seeing the full picture.

Can we get some of the hotplug authors involved in the discussion?