From: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki on
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:30:26 -0600 (CST)
Christoph Lameter <cl(a)linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, David Rientjes wrote:
>
> > I don't see how memory hotadd with a new node being onlined could have
> > worked fine before since slab lacked any memory hotplug notifier until
> > Andi just added it.
>
> AFAICR The cpu notifier took on that role in the past.
>
> If what you say is true then memory hotplug has never worked before.
> Kamesan?

In this code,

int node = numa_node_id();

node is got by its CPU.

At node hotplug, following order should be kept.
Add: memory -> cpu
Remove: cpu -> memory

cpus must be onlined after memory. At least, we online cpus only after
memory. Then, we(our heavy test on RHEL5) never see this kind of race.

I'm sorry if my answer misses your point.

Thanks,
-Kame

From: Pekka Enberg on
Christoph Lameter kirjoitti:
>> kmalloc_node() in generic kernel code. All that is done under
>> MEM_GOING_ONLINE and not MEM_ONLINE, which is why I suggest the first and
>> fourth patch in this series may not be necessary if we prevent setting the
>> bit in the nodemask or building the zonelists until the slab nodelists are
>> ready.
>
> That sounds good.

Andi?
From: Andi Kleen on
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:30:26PM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, David Rientjes wrote:
>
> > I don't see how memory hotadd with a new node being onlined could have
> > worked fine before since slab lacked any memory hotplug notifier until
> > Andi just added it.
>
> AFAICR The cpu notifier took on that role in the past.

The problem is that slab already allocates inside the notifier
and then some state wasn't set up.

> If what you say is true then memory hotplug has never worked before.
> Kamesan?

Memory hotplug with node add never quite worked on x86 before,
for various reasons not related to slab.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Andi Kleen on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:45:02PM +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Christoph Lameter kirjoitti:
>>> kmalloc_node() in generic kernel code. All that is done under
>>> MEM_GOING_ONLINE and not MEM_ONLINE, which is why I suggest the first and
>>> fourth patch in this series may not be necessary if we prevent setting the
>>> bit in the nodemask or building the zonelists until the slab nodelists are
>>> ready.
>>
>> That sounds good.
>
> Andi?

Well if Christoph wants to submit a better patch that is tested and solves
the problems he can do that.

if he doesn't then I think my patch kit which has been tested
is the best alternative currently.

-Andi

--
ak(a)linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.
From: Pekka Enberg on
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Andi Kleen <andi(a)firstfloor.org> wrote:

>>> That sounds good.
>>
>> Andi?
>
> Well if Christoph wants to submit a better patch that is tested and solves
> the problems he can do that.

Sure.

> if he doesn't then I think my patch kit which has been tested
> is the best alternative currently.

So do you expect me to merge your patches over his objections?

Pekka