Prev: Motion
Next: Free Energy
From: slavek krepelka on
Mr. HAMMOND,

Average is calculated as the point half way between minimum and maximum.

The fact that half the population has bellow average inteligence is a
default of the meaning of the word "average", not a proven scientific
fact.

Regards, Slavek

From: tadchem on
"slavek krepelka" <slavek.krepelka(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Mr. HAMMOND,
>
> Average is calculated as the point half way between minimum and maximum.

That is called the "midrange".

From:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda351.htm

# mean - the mean is the sum of the data points divided by the number of
data points. That is,

YBAR = SUM[Y(i)/N] where the summation is for 1 to N

The mean is that value that is most commonly referred to as the average. We
will use the term average as a synonym for the mean and the term typical
value to refer generically to measures of location.

# median - the median is the value of the point which has half the data
smaller than that point and half the data larger than that point. That is,
if X1, X2, ... ,XN is a random sample sorted from smallest value to largest
value, then the median is defined as:

MEDIAN = Y((N+1)/2) if N is odd

MEDIAN = (Y(N/2) + Y((N/2)+1))/2 if N is even

# mode - the mode is the value of the random sample that occurs with the
greatest frequency. It is not necessarily unique. The mode is typically used
in a qualitative fashion. For example, there may be a single dominant hump
in the data perhaps two or more smaller humps in the data. This is usually
evident from a histogram of the data.

(and, from near the bottom of the page, among the Alternative Measures of
Location)

Mid-range = (smallest + largest)/2.

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

From: slavek krepelka on
Yes, you are quite correct Tom

I just did not want to flood him with that complexity :-)

My kind regards, Slavek.

From: tadchem on

> Yes, you are quite correct Tom
>
> I just did not want to flood him with that complexity :-)
>
> My kind regards, Slavek.
>
> tadchem wrote:
> >
> > "slavek krepelka" <slavek.krepelka(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > Mr. HAMMOND,
> > >
> > > Average is calculated as the point half way between minimum and
maximum.

> > That is called the "midrange".

Worse than 'flooding' him with complexity is to mislead him with another
easily corrected error, or to allow him to continue with his own original
error without correcting it.

Still, I get a similar feeling from trying to enlighten Hammond that I get
from running glass jars through the dishwasher before I toss them into the
bin to be recycled. The phrase 'exercise in futility' comes to mind, but I
could use a little intellectual calisthenics once in a while.

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

From: George Hammond on

"tadchem" <tadchemNOSPAM(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "slavek krepelka" <slavek.krepelka(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Yes, you are quite correct Tom
>>
>> I just did not want to flood him with that complexity :-)
>>
>> My kind regards, Slavek.
>>
>> tadchem wrote:
>> >
>> > "slavek krepelka" <slavek.krepelka(a)sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> maximum.
>> >
>> > That is called the "midrange".
>
> Worse than 'flooding' him with complexity is to mislead him with another
> easily corrected error, or to allow him to continue with his own original
> error without correcting it.
>
> Still, I get a similar feeling from trying to enlighten Hammond that I get
> from running glass jars through the dishwasher before I toss them into the
> bin to be recycled. The phrase 'exercise in futility' comes to mind, but I
> could use a little intellectual calisthenics once in a while.
>

> Tom Davidson
> Richmond, VA

[Hammond]
Amateurs are not the only people I'm having trouble with.
In fact it's the top physicists who are really giving me the
business.
Please read my new thread entitled:

SUPPRESSION OF HAMMOND BY S.P.R.

which is posted on sci.physics.relativity and give me
a comment about the performance of qualified physicists
toward's Hammond.

SCIENTIFIC PROOF OF GOD WEBSITE
http://geocities.com/scientific_proof_of_god
mirror site: