From: James Egan on
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:45:39 GMT, Art <null(a)zilch.com> wrote:

>To add a little more info, I found that all four files have the same
>identical characteristic in that truncating them just after the first
>occurance of FF D9 results in a 886 byte froggie which Irfan "thinks"
>is a legit JPG file. By four files, I mean in addition to NT1, 2, 3
>I'm including WINLOGON.JPG. In this latter file I found only one
>occurance of FF D9 and that's probably the file Jim was looking
>at.

I haven't got any of the files. I just added some plaintext onto the
end of a smallish jpg on my machine here to see if Irfanview left it
in after "saving as" another jpg. It didn't, of course, because it was
only interested in the stuff up to the first (and only in this case)
end of image marker and used that for creating its new file. The fact
that the image is a bit bigger than the original is one of the quirks
of jpeg when saving a low grade image at a higher percentage.

This appending at the end of the file is a common technique in some of
the not very good steganography products which guillermito reversed a
few years back. A good read if you're interested.
http://www.guillermito2.net/stegano/

Jim.

From: Art on
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:22:28 +0100, James Egan <jegan(a)jegan.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:45:39 GMT, Art <null(a)zilch.com> wrote:
>
>>To add a little more info, I found that all four files have the same
>>identical characteristic in that truncating them just after the first
>>occurance of FF D9 results in a 886 byte froggie which Irfan "thinks"
>>is a legit JPG file. By four files, I mean in addition to NT1, 2, 3
>>I'm including WINLOGON.JPG. In this latter file I found only one
>>occurance of FF D9 and that's probably the file Jim was looking
>>at.
>
>I haven't got any of the files. I just added some plaintext onto the
>end of a smallish jpg on my machine here to see if Irfanview left it
>in after "saving as" another jpg. It didn't, of course, because it was
>only interested in the stuff up to the first (and only in this case)
>end of image marker and used that for creating its new file. The fact
>that the image is a bit bigger than the original is one of the quirks
>of jpeg when saving a low grade image at a higher percentage.

Yep. It's nice that a method like that isn't required at all.

>This appending at the end of the file is a common technique in some of
>the not very good steganography products which guillermito reversed a
>few years back. A good read if you're interested.
>http://www.guillermito2.net/stegano/

Yes it is indeed a good read. Your inputs have been helpful. Thanks.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
From: Art on
I've put JPG-SCAN.ZIP up at my web site for anyone interested.
It uses a a extremely simple algorithm for detecting the subject
samples. I had a collection of 78 .JPG files I had downloaded a
long time ago ... mostly pictures of various locations in Alaska. Of
these, 10 alerted my scanner since they had some kind of extraneous
bytes near the end of the file after the JPG end bytes. I have no
reason to think these 10 are actually Trojanized, but it's curious
that files like this are created somehow. I "cleaned" one of them
using IrfanView at 100% quality and the file size more than tripled
up to nearly a half meg from less than 200K. People will just have
to tinker around finding a quality percentage that's suitable for
them consistent with lower file sizes.

It was fun designing the scanner, and I might add other kinds
of simple but useful "oddball" detections, such as for Word DOC
embedded Trojans. The scanner can be speeded up considerably,
but for now there's little point in doing that since it takes less
than a minute to scan the 1,250 folders on my Win 2K PC main
partition.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
From: James Egan on
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:10:33 GMT, Art <null(a)zilch.com> wrote:

>I've put JPG-SCAN.ZIP up at my web site for anyone interested.
>It uses a a extremely simple algorithm for detecting the subject
>samples. I had a collection of 78 .JPG files I had downloaded a
>long time ago ... mostly pictures of various locations in Alaska. Of
>these, 10 alerted my scanner since they had some kind of extraneous
>bytes near the end of the file after the JPG end bytes. I have no
>reason to think these 10 are actually Trojanized, but it's curious
>that files like this are created somehow. I "cleaned" one of them
>using IrfanView at 100% quality and the file size more than tripled
>up to nearly a half meg from less than 200K. People will just have
>to tinker around finding a quality percentage that's suitable for
>them consistent with lower file sizes.

Wouldn't it be better to simply truncate the files? Irfanview would
only ruin any hidden data in the files if it was mixed in with the
image datastreams (which it isn't).

Jim.

From: Art on
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 09:18:31 +0100, James Egan <jegan(a)jegan.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:10:33 GMT, Art <null(a)zilch.com> wrote:
>
>>I've put JPG-SCAN.ZIP up at my web site for anyone interested.
>>It uses a a extremely simple algorithm for detecting the subject
>>samples. I had a collection of 78 .JPG files I had downloaded a
>>long time ago ... mostly pictures of various locations in Alaska. Of
>>these, 10 alerted my scanner since they had some kind of extraneous
>>bytes near the end of the file after the JPG end bytes. I have no
>>reason to think these 10 are actually Trojanized, but it's curious
>>that files like this are created somehow. I "cleaned" one of them
>>using IrfanView at 100% quality and the file size more than tripled
>>up to nearly a half meg from less than 200K. People will just have
>>to tinker around finding a quality percentage that's suitable for
>>them consistent with lower file sizes.
>
>Wouldn't it be better to simply truncate the files? Irfanview would
>only ruin any hidden data in the files if it was mixed in with the
>image datastreams (which it isn't).

No, IrfanView does truncate the files and remove the extraneous bytes
after the "end of JPG" marker bytes. IOW, it removes appendages.

My thinking on this first go-around with the scanner was that it would
not offer to modify files. That way "power users" at least could look
at the files flagged as suspicious in a hex editor and see what's
going on, so to speak. But now that you bring it up, I think I will
include a option to truncate the files as a convenience to users,
since that would eliminate the need to use Irfan (or other apps).
So far as I can determine, the scanner would only have to find
the first occurance of the "end of JPG" marker bytes and truncate
all bytes after that.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg