From: Phil Weldon on
'B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson' wrote, in part:
| Not necessarily so. The reason for significant changes within the picture
| would be the compression by another algorithm and/or another compression
| factor rather than the overall brightness change.
_____
The overall 'brightness' change propagates thru the recompression, even
reusing the same compression process with the same compression factor.

There are many filters that will do the same.

My suggestion is for a simple change to an image that would destroy
executable code, not a generalized method for defeating steganography.

You describe the beginning of an arms race, which I brought up my subsequent
reply to 'Art'.

Phil Weldon

"B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson" <br.ederson(a)expires-2006-06-30.arcornews.de> wrote in
message news:1xjh5jspk94zf$.dlg(a)br.ederson.news.arcor.de...

=

===============================================================--(Oops!)===

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed(a)example.com>

| _____
| The overall 'brightness' change propagates thru the recompression, even
| reusing the same compression process with the same compression factor.
|
| There are many filters that will do the same.
|
| My suggestion is for a simple change to an image that would destroy
| executable code, not a generalized method for defeating steganography.
|
| You describe the beginning of an arms race, which I brought up my subsequent
| reply to 'Art'.
|
| Phil Weldon

Since there is NO content worth saving, manual deletion or removal via AV software is
warranted. Modification with a Graphics manipulation application is just a wasteful action.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

From: B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson on
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:27:46 GMT, Phil Weldon wrote:

> The overall 'brightness' change propagates thru the recompression, even
> reusing the same compression process with the same compression factor.

Again:
>| If you try your suggestion on an image twice in a row to ensure the same
>| compression settings, you'll find large portions of the images 2 and 3
>| unchanged. Most of the data may shift position. But a trigger program
>| can look for code snippets to get the offset of the malicious code. It
>| doesn't need to depend on exact positions. If AV programs always used
>| brightness changes to "disinfect" *.jpg files, virus writers would just
>| place the code in the chrominance part of the data stream. (Luminance
>| and chrominance are compressed separately in *jpg files.)

> My suggestion is for a simple change to an image that would destroy
> executable code, not a generalized method for defeating steganography.

I just tried to tell you that your suggested method isn't enough. You
may knew that much by yourself. But one cannot guess that from your
postings and others may think themselves safe, applying your suggestion.

> You describe the beginning of an arms race, which I brought up my subsequent
> reply to 'Art'.

I describe 2 things: There are possibilities for general (heuristic)
detection of abnormal formed data file sections. And your described
method has to be refined to really be useful. And that's not just a
matter of including the chrominance part of the data stream - because
the compression algorithm may permit the construction of data which
survives several transformations (as seems to be the case with JPEG).

I surely *don't* propagate the inclusion of detection routines for
all steganographic methods ever detected to be used for malware.

From: Art on
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:00:45 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Phil Weldon" <notdiscosed(a)example.com>
>

>| _____
>| The overall 'brightness' change propagates thru the recompression, even
>| reusing the same compression process with the same compression factor.
>|
>| There are many filters that will do the same.
>|
>| My suggestion is for a simple change to an image that would destroy
>| executable code, not a generalized method for defeating steganography.
>|
>| You describe the beginning of an arms race, which I brought up my subsequent
>| reply to 'Art'.
>|
>| Phil Weldon
>|
>Since there is NO content worth saving, manual deletion or removal via AV software is
>warranted. Modification with a Graphics manipulation application is just a wasteful action.

Not wasteful at all if something like that could be developed that
would do the job without signifcant loss of image quality. My idea
of it is as I said ... scrub all JPG images found (with user
permission). Period. That gets around the very difficult problems
inherent in attempting to detect embedded code reliably. Very
slick solution if it can be made to work well.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Art" <null(a)zilch.com>

| Not wasteful at all if something like that could be developed that
| would do the job without signifcant loss of image quality. My idea
| of it is as I said ... scrub all JPG images found (with user
| permission). Period. That gets around the very difficult problems
| inherent in attempting to detect embedded code reliably. Very
| slick solution if it can be made to work well.
|
| Art
| http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Come on. Do you really need the Frog ?
None of teh JPEGs which contain the malware have content worth keeping.