From: B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson on
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:19:06 GMT, Art wrote:

> Even without the presence of a current companion, a new and currently
> "unknown" companion could cnceivably get past av scanners and run the
> code embedded in the JPGs. The JPGs are a threat as long as they are on
> a PC. In fact, this sort of thing may well be a part of the plan of the
> bad guys.

If known malicious code is deliberately excluded from detection when
placed within non-executable data, the release of trigger programs
will become some kind of sport, the AV vendors will lose every now
and then. Moreover, if "appropriate" pictures are selected for the
code injection, they will spread like fire and last forever. :-(

Therefore, I generally agree with you. To limit the necessary sigs
and detection algorithms, spreading and dangerousness should be
taken into account. As every computer already contains a lot of
code which *can* be exploited for malicious actions, the specifics
of the steganographic hidden code are decisive, IMHO.

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===
From: James Egan on
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:36:22 GMT, Art <null(a)zilch.com> wrote:

>I don't know what you mean by "least significant bit method". If we
>can stick with the subject JPGs for the time being, clearly the
>malware isn't hidden at all.

I meant a technique which mixes the data in with the image causing
changes which aren't very noticeable to the eye rather than appending
the whole of the (malware) data before some beginning of file marker
or after an end of file marker. Such a technique is more pertinent to
bitmaps where the least significant bit in a 24 bit pixel can be
easily altered to something else (to store the malware) without
radically altering the colour of the pixel. With (lossy) jpg's it
wouldn't be so simple of course but will nonetheless be possible to
some degree.

>>any detection would be dependent on the
>>image containing the malware and not just the malware itself.
>
>Well, I suppose I could modify the JPGs I have slightly and see if Bit
>Defender and Symantec quit alerting on them.

The malware is probably all together as a comment at the beginning or
at the end after the end of file marker so altering the image itself
wouldn't make any difference.

<snip>

>If it's not feasible, how do you explain the detections by Bit
>Defender and Symantec?

I meant it's not feasible generally if some serious steganography prog
has been used to create the image. Remember that as well as
discovering that there is a hidden file within an image, the av also
has to determine that the hidden file is malware which will likely
involve breaking some serious encryption.

Adding detection for non serious stuff like the frog jpegs shouldn't
be difficult, but there could also be any number of infected images on
the same computer which are undetectable. Therefore the emphasis must
surely be placed on detecting and stopping the companion needed to
activate the malware.

Jim.

From: Art on
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 00:30:57 +0100, James Egan <jegan(a)jegan.com>
wrote:

<snip to just this portion>

>I meant it's not feasible generally if some serious steganography prog
>has been used to create the image. Remember that as well as
>discovering that there is a hidden file within an image, the av also
>has to determine that the hidden file is malware which will likely
>involve breaking some serious encryption.

Do av really have to determine that a "diddled with" JPG contains
encrypted "information" and be able to deal with decrypting it? Or is
it sufficient to recognize that something is definitely unusual for a
otherwise recognizable JPG format?

Why couldn't ISP email scanner/blockers treat such animals as
exceptions and pass them on to the users with a warning message
to the effect that something "fishy" has been detected? That way,
the few users exchanging legit altered JPGs could deal with the issue
by passing on a MD5 in the message body, passwords for the zips, etc.
Users not expecting a "fishy" JPG have been duly warned and if they
have half a brain they simply delete the attackment.

Similarly, all av could treat such JPGs as a exception and simply
issue a "something's fishy" warning to users. In fact, I suspect
a very strong warning might be legitimately issued, but I might
be overly optimistic about the definiteness of the determination.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
BTW, we've limited the discussion to JPGs because of the actual
sample malware I discussed, but we're really talking about
multimedia files and other "data" files as well.
From: Dustin Cook on

Art wrote:

> Do av really have to determine that a "diddled with" JPG contains
> encrypted "information" and be able to deal with decrypting it? Or is
> it sufficient to recognize that something is definitely unusual for a
> otherwise recognizable JPG format?

How would AV know if it's diddled or not? The whole point behind the
process is to alter only enough bits spread thruout the file to store
your data, for all intents and purposes, it's video data... Nothing but
a few bytes here and there altered... hardly noticable...

--
Regards,
Dustin Cook

From: Phil Weldon on
'Art' wrote, in part:
| Well, I suppose I could modify the JPGs I have slightly and see if Bit
| Defender and Symantec quit alerting on them.
_____

Try an image editor and change the overall 'brightness by 1%. That should
destroy any executable hidden in a .jpg image.

Phil Weldon

"Art" <null(a)zilch.com> wrote in message
..

| I don't know what you mean by "least significant bit method". If we
| can stick with the subject JPGs for the time being, clearly the
| malware isn't hidden at all.
|
| >any detection would be dependent on the
| >image containing the malware and not just the malware itself.
|
| Well, I suppose I could modify the JPGs I have slightly and see if Bit
| Defender and Symantec quit alerting on them.
|
| >>2. Your statement that the probability of the malware being
| >>executed is zero is nonsense no matter how you look at it. Even
| >>without the presence of a current companion, a new and
| >>currently "unknown" companion could cnceivably get past av
| >>scanners and run the code embedded in the JPGs.
|
| >Then it's not the jpg which gets executed. It's the "unknown"
| >companion which just slipped past your av scanner.
|
| Huh? They both execute. The companion causes the code in the
| JPG to run.

..