From: Art on
Regulars here are aware that steganography is a technique
of embedding malicious code in picture image files (and other
files). Such files are themselves harmless since they require
companion active malware to run the embedded code.

The subject sample came in a zip of four files, three JPEGS
and a file named WIN32.EXE. Here's the Virus Total result
for the WIN32.EXE file:
DrWeb Trojan.DownLoader.9540
eTrust-Inoculat no virus found
eTrust-Vet Win32/Vxidl!generic
Ewido Downloader.Tibs.eo
Fortinet no virus found
F-Prot no virus found
Ikarus no virus found
Kaspersky Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Tibs.eo
McAfee 4791 Generic Downloader
Microsoft no virus found
NOD32v2 probably a variant of Win32/TrojanDownloader.Small.AWA
Norman no virus found
Panda Adware/Adsmart
Sophos no virus found
Symantec Trojan.Galapoper.A
TheHacker no virus found
UNA no virus found
VBA32 Trojan.DownLoader.9540
VirusBuster no virus found
************************************
Only Bit Defender and Symantec alerted on the JPEGS.
Bit Defender found Trojan.HideFrog.A in all three
(they are images of a frog :))

Symantec alerted as follows:
NT1.JPG W32.Looksky!gen
NT2.JPG Trojan.Desktophijack.B
NT3.JPG Trojan.Jupillites

I'm puzzled that only two products alert on the JPEGS
even though many alert on the (apparently)
companion malware. I would think it important to
alert on the JPEGS as a warning to users to get rid
of them.

I'm also puzzled/curious about the Symantec
alerts.

Here's a McAfee blog with some info on this
malware set:

http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/?p=36

BTW, while McAfee alerts on WIN32.EXE as Generic
Downloader, it does not alert on the JPEGS.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
From: Ian Kenefick on
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:51:00 GMT, Art <null(a)zilch.com> wrote:

>Only Bit Defender and Symantec alerted on the JPEGS.
>Bit Defender found Trojan.HideFrog.A in all three
>(they are images of a frog :))
>
>Symantec alerted as follows:
>NT1.JPG W32.Looksky!gen
>NT2.JPG Trojan.Desktophijack.B
>NT3.JPG Trojan.Jupillites
>
>I'm puzzled that only two products alert on the JPEGS
>even though many alert on the (apparently)
>companion malware. I would think it important to
>alert on the JPEGS as a warning to users to get rid
>of them.
>
>I'm also puzzled/curious about the Symantec
>alerts.
>
>Here's a McAfee blog with some info on this
>malware set:
>
>http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/?p=36
>
>BTW, while McAfee alerts on WIN32.EXE as Generic
>Downloader, it does not alert on the JPEGS.

It was interesting yin McAfee's analysis. He mentions that some
analysts would skip over the jpegs thinking they were benign jpegs and
not taking them into consideration in the overall analysis. Of
course... dynamic analysis would show their true functionality. You
wonder how much of this stuff does get 'missed' by virus analysts.

--
Regards, Ian Kenefick
http://www.IK-CS.com
From: Art on
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:41:30 +0100, Ian Kenefick
<ian_kenefick(a)eircom.net> wrote:

>It was interesting yin McAfee's analysis. He mentions that some
>analysts would skip over the jpegs thinking they were benign jpegs and
>not taking them into consideration in the overall analysis. Of
>course... dynamic analysis would show their true functionality. You
>wonder how much of this stuff does get 'missed' by virus analysts.

I've sent the JPEGs to Kaspersky asking why KAV doesn't alert.
Depending on the analyst, I might get a good answer. Sometimes
Eugene himself is the analyst, and if I'm lucky I'll hit paydirt :)

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
From: kurt wismer on
Art wrote:
> Regulars here are aware that steganography is a technique
> of embedding malicious code in picture image files (and other
> files).

minor quibble - steganography is a technique for hiding messages in
other things, it's not just for hiding malware...

[snip]
> I'm puzzled that only two products alert on the JPEGS
> even though many alert on the (apparently)
> companion malware. I would think it important to
> alert on the JPEGS as a warning to users to get rid
> of them.

think of it as being analogous to the issue of scanning inside of
various types of archives (which i know you're already quite familiar
with)... ultimately the jpegs are just acting as a kind of container...
how good are av apps at scanning inside containers in general and exotic
(ie. non-zip/rar/arj) containers in particular? i seem to recall you
saying something about problems unpacking installation files even (and
one wouldn't normally consider those to be 'exotic')...

--
"it's not the right time to be sober
now the idiots have taken over
From: Art on
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 23:45:58 -0400, kurt wismer <kurtw(a)sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Art wrote:
>> Regulars here are aware that steganography is a technique
>> of embedding malicious code in picture image files (and other
>> files).
>
>minor quibble - steganography is a technique for hiding messages in
>other things, it's not just for hiding malware...

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, "Such errant pedantry up with I shall
not put!". Obviously if malicious code can be embedded in certain
fles, any code can be embedded.

Art
http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg