From: tonyg on
On 30 June, 08:00, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> mahdert wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>
> > When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
> > major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you I
> > was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing with ADA
> > and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to change my
> > major to mech eng..
>
> > Now, after many years, I started to revisit ADA and I seem to catch on
> > to it.. but I feel (i know) its mostly due to my own experience and
> > maturity level..
>
> > So, I have to ask your opinion.. DO you think that the push for
> > universities to use ADA is a big conspiracy among academicians to kill
> > the passion of comp. sci in young students who would like to become
> > software engineers???? I do not see any other reason why..
>
> Sloppy programmers avoid Ada, therefore Ada helps avoid sloppy
> programmers.
>
> The fact that you mention your own maturity in your post says a lot.
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

You should think yourself lucky we had three major languages (I won't
say taught) we were told to use our projects with

1) ML
2) 68000 assembly
3) Ada

so most of us loved Ada
From: Pascal Obry on
Dmitry,

> 3. CS students with majors in applied mathematics are incapable to design
> software in whatever language. I'm sorry, but have to say this. (:-))

Don't be sorry, I concur 100%...

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net - http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

From: Warren on
mahdert expounded in

> On Jun 30, 1:33�am, "Jeffrey R. Carter"
> <spam.jrcarter....(a)spam.acm.org> wrote:
>> On 06/29/2010 10:23 PM, mahdert wrote:
>>
>> > When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
>> > major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you
>> > I was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing
>> > with ADA and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to
>> > change my major to mech eng..
>>
>> In order to respond meaningfully to your post, we need to know which
>> ADA
> you
>> were exposed to that had such an effect on you. Was it American
>> Dental Association or Americans with Disabilities Act?
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Carter
>> "Blessed is just about anyone with a vested interest in the status
>> quo." Monty Python's Life of Brian
>> 73
>
> LOL.. it was GNAT ADA 95..

I think you missed the point-- it is "Ada", not "ADA".

Perhaps your computer science program started you off
on the wrong foot ;-)

Warren
From: Colin Paul Gloster on
I am replying at 18:51:23 UTC on June 30th, 2010 to a post with the
bogus header:
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:13:46 +0200
so please improve the timestamping mechanism.

Dmitry A. Kazakov sent:
|"[..] |
| |
|[..] |
|3. CS students with majors in applied mathematics are incapable to design|
|software in whatever language. I'm sorry, but have to say this. (:-))" |

I do not understand.
From: George Orwell on
> On 06/29/2010 10:23 PM, mahdert wrote:
> > When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
> > major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you I
> > was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing with ADA
> > and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to change my
> > major to mech eng..

And it was a good thing, indeed. If you can't figure out how to code well
enough to get past Ada's compile-time errors, it's a pretty strong proof
you're not cut out for a job in programming (and I shudder to think of what
kind of machines or bridges you'll design) and also not surprised you like
C++ which will do what you said and not what you meant, all without letting
you know.

(I didn't mean to quote Jeffrey's post, but I didn't see the OP.)

https://www.mixmaster.it