From: Wilson on

--

Thank you for your comments. I found your them very interesting. (and
thought provoking.) I was responsible for teaching Ada to beginning

Over the years I have taught the same course in assembler (back in the
1950s), various versions of Fortran, Cobol, Basic, Pascal, Algol, and
PL/I. (As you might have guessed, I was arround for a long time and still
loved teaching beginners.) Ada was by far and away the easiest language
to teach and the students learnt the most.

If Ada was so great, why did the school change to C++? Student demand.
All the job openings wanted C++, not Ada. When all is said and done,
schools ofter what students want. (Although one former student did tell
lme that her employer found it almost impossible to change people who had
started with C++ into Ada programers. Rather than insist on Ada
experience, the employer changed all its programming to C++! Some days
you can't win.)

I wish all programming managers would develop your maturity. God knows,
we need it.

From: anon on
In <i0g4lk$qon$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma(a)12000.org> writes:
>On 6/29/2010 11:40 PM, anon(a)att.net wrote:
>

>> The big conspiracy among academicians is pushing C++ and other languages,
>> were bad habits can become a cancer to the programmer/maintainers of any
>> software package.
>
>I think the choice of CS teaching languages went something like this:
>
>PLI/SNOBOL -- the dark ages ?
>
>Fortran -- late 70's ?
>
>Pascal/Ada/Module2/ 80's. The golden age (algorithms+data
>structures=programs)
>
>C/lisp 80's-early 90's ?
>
>C++ 90's - early 2000's ?
>
>Java late 90's/middle 2000's ?
>
>Python now ?
>
>HTML5/JavaScript -- 2010's and for the rest of the 21 century :)
>

>--Nasser

Your Timeline is a off a bit.

Assembly -- From the Beginning .. To the Future
Not pushed! After higher-level lang came around

Cobol/Fortran/Algol/Lisp -- late 50s .. late 80s
All were replace by C/C++ in the 80/90s
Note: Ada designer have stated that
Fortran was the "successful language"

PLI -- 60s, programmers and companies rebeled, they prefer to use
the specific language such as Fortran or Cobol
instead of learning and using PLI. So, schools followed the
companies and mostly stayed away from PLI.

Pascal/Module2 -- Mid to late 70s ... mid 90s
Pascal was design to teach programming
Replace by C/C++ in 80/90s

APL/B/BCPL -- from late 50s .. late 70s
replaced with "C" aka newer version.
C/C++/D -- from 74 .. Now.
-- "D" is the newest version replaces C and C++
"C++" is wide spread in all classes. C/C++ slowly
replace all other older lang "Cobol" and "Fortran"
in clasees.
Also, due to fact that these lang are based on "APL"
it makes the set, one of the OLDEST lang around.
This 50+ year lang set should of died a few years ago.

Ada 83 .. 98 -- only taught in gov't sponsor classes. Teacher
had to be certified in Ada before 98.
After 98 -- problem is, not enough teachers that know Ada

Languages that are for net and have little to no interest to main
stream programers that want to deal with the native CPU.

Java -- 90's .. now -- Sun's internet J-Code language that
is somewhat secure and portable but
altered to much for any lasting code.

Only Web designers are into:
HTML/JavaScript/Python
These are just a passing though for the movement
and will be replace by some kind GUI web lang. All
three will be out the door by 2016.

From: Simon Wright on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:54:10 +0000, Colin Paul Gloster wrote:
>
>> I am replying at 18:51:23 UTC on June 30th, 2010 to a post with the
>> bogus header:
>> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:13:46 +0200
>
> Hmm, the header is correct +0200 = +02:00 = 2h 0m = CEST (Central European
> Summer Time)

I think it's the "Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:13:46" he's complaining about!
From: Lucretia on
On Jun 30, 9:36 am, tonyg <tonytheg...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> You should think yourself lucky we had three major languages (I won't
> say taught) we were told to use our projects with
>
> 1) ML
> 2) 68000 assembly
> 3) Ada
>
> so most of us loved Ada

Some of us loved m68k, especially on the Amiga :D

Luke.
From: Colin Paul Gloster on
On a true July 1st, 2010, Simon Wright sent:
|""Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes: |
| |
|> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:54:10 +0000, Colin Paul Gloster wrote: |
|> |
|>> I am replying at 18:51:23 UTC on June 30th, 2010 to a post with the |
|>> bogus header: |
|>> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:13:46 +0200 |
|> |
|> Hmm, the header is correct +0200 = +02:00 = 2h 0m = CEST (Central European|
|> Summer Time) |
| |
|I think it's the "Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:13:46" he's complaining about!" |

Affirmative. Even in the C.E.S.T. timezone, July had not begun by the
time Dmitry A. Kazakov posted.