From: mahdert on
When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you I
was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing with ADA
and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to change my
major to mech eng..

Now, after many years, I started to revisit ADA and I seem to catch on
to it.. but I feel (i know) its mostly due to my own experience and
maturity level..

So, I have to ask your opinion.. DO you think that the push for
universities to use ADA is a big conspiracy among academicians to kill
the passion of comp. sci in young students who would like to become
software engineers???? I do not see any other reason why..

From: Jeffrey R. Carter on
On 06/29/2010 10:23 PM, mahdert wrote:
> When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
> major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you I
> was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing with ADA
> and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to change my
> major to mech eng..

In order to respond meaningfully to your post, we need to know which ADA you
were exposed to that had such an effect on you. Was it American Dental
Association or Americans with Disabilities Act?

--
Jeff Carter
"Blessed is just about anyone with a vested interest in the status quo."
From: mahdert on
On Jun 30, 1:33 am, "Jeffrey R. Carter"
<spam.jrcarter....(a)spam.acm.org> wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 10:23 PM, mahdert wrote:
>
> > When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
> > major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you I
> > was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing with ADA
> > and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to change my
> > major to mech eng..
>
> In order to respond meaningfully to your post, we need to know which ADA you
> were exposed to that had such an effect on you. Was it American Dental
> Association or Americans with Disabilities Act?
>
> --
> Jeff Carter
> "Blessed is just about anyone with a vested interest in the status quo."
> Monty Python's Life of Brian
> 73

LOL.. it was GNAT ADA 95..
From: anon on
In <8f469661-370c-4484-82d8-f1b365455e0f(a)w12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, mahdert <mahdert(a)gmail.com> writes:
>When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
>major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you I
>was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing with ADA
>and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to change my
>major to mech eng..
>
>Now, after many years, I started to revisit ADA and I seem to catch on
>to it.. but I feel (i know) its mostly due to my own experience and
>maturity level..
>
>So, I have to ask your opinion.. DO you think that the push for
>universities to use ADA is a big conspiracy among academicians to kill
>the passion of comp. sci in young students who would like to become
>software engineers???? I do not see any other reason why..

The Ada lang. aids the programmer to become a better programmer. But that
means that the programmer must be willing to alter their bad habits and ideas
on programming to a more pure and structured way of programming. After
which even debugging is a breeze compared to other languages.

The big conspiracy among academicians is pushing C++ and other languages,
were bad habits can become a cancer to the programmer/maintainers of any
software package.

From: Ludovic Brenta on
mahdert wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> When I first started my undergraduate studies as a computer science
> major, I was forced to use ADA in an introductory course.. Mind you I
> was already familiar with C++ at that time..but after dealing with ADA
> and compilet time errors for about a year, I decided to change my
> major to mech eng..
>
> Now, after many years, I started to revisit ADA and I seem to catch on
> to it.. but I feel (i know) its mostly due to my own experience and
> maturity level..
>
> So, I have to ask your opinion.. DO you think that the push for
> universities to use ADA is a big conspiracy among academicians to kill
> the passion of comp. sci in young students who would like to become
> software engineers???? I do not see any other reason why..

Sloppy programmers avoid Ada, therefore Ada helps avoid sloppy
programmers.

The fact that you mention your own maturity in your post says a lot.

--
Ludovic Brenta.