From: Anssi Saari on
Brianm <idontthinkso(a)spammersdie.com> writes:

> So you are saying ALL new processors such as the Phenom II are only ONE
> type, 64-bit (& supporting 32)?

Not all, but those you're likely to run into if you're buying a
"normal" PC will be 64-bit. AMD does have the Geode line which was
used in some mini-notebooks and it's 32-bit. Further developement may
be dead, but it's still available.

Likewise VIA's Nano and most of Intel's Atom processors are 32 bits.
From: Paul on
Anssi Saari wrote:
> Brianm <idontthinkso(a)spammersdie.com> writes:
>
>> So you are saying ALL new processors such as the Phenom II are only ONE
>> type, 64-bit (& supporting 32)?
>
> Not all, but those you're likely to run into if you're buying a
> "normal" PC will be 64-bit. AMD does have the Geode line which was
> used in some mini-notebooks and it's 32-bit. Further developement may
> be dead, but it's still available.
>
> Likewise VIA's Nano and most of Intel's Atom processors are 32 bits.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/nano/

"VIA Nano Processor

The first 64-bit, superscalar processors in VIA's x86 platform portfolio..."

Even VIA is catching up :-)

Paul
From: Anssi Saari on
Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> writes:

> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/nano/
>
> "VIA Nano Processor
>
> The first 64-bit, superscalar processors in VIA's x86 platform portfolio..."
>
> Even VIA is catching up :-)

Right, it was the older C7 I was thinking about. HP put the mobile
version of that in the cute but expensive 2133 mininotebook. I've been
kicking myself that I didn't get one when they were selling the last
ones cheaply...