From: Thomas Andersson on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Have you ever considdered that any hardware owned by you would be prone to
go suicidal?

From: Skybuck Flying on

"Thomas Andersson" <thomas(a)tifozi.net> wrote in message
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>
> Have you ever considdered that any hardware owned by you would be prone to
> go suicidal?

My hardware might be a little bit dusty, but that's because I always give it
lot's of love and attention... it's love dust :)

I even respect the elderly, they all sitting right next to me, nice and
cousy ;) :)

Unlike some people who dump their elderly in the waste basket ?! ;) :) |D

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: larry moe 'n curly on

Skybuck Flying wrote:

> To me this is a very clear sign that the cpu fan is actually DIRTY and
> STUCK...
>
> Maybe because of oil I tried to put in it long ago, it must have merged with
> dust... or maybe the oil helped a little bit.
>
> I am not sure what I should do... oil it ? or clean it first ? Clean it
> first might not be possible ? Oil it might help or might make it worse.
>
> One thing I should not do:
>
> Attempt to clean it... last time I tried that with a graphics card fan... I
> broke off the fan blade...

What happens when you apply 12V directly to the fan? The black wire
goes to ground (another black wire on the power supply), the red wire
of the fan goes to a yellow wire from the power supply. If you
instead connect it to a red wire on the power supply, the fan will get
only 5V, which may not be enough to start it up.

I usually take apart a fan and clean it before lubing it. Use light
machine oil, not WD-40 or silicone oil, and lube not only the bearings
but also apply tiny amounts of oil to any thrust washers, even plastic
ones. If you find any gouged washers, replace them (real hardware
stores like Ace or True Value, parts from other fans). Sealed ball
bearings usually can't be lubed, but with unsealed ones try to clean
out the old grease and apply fresh lithium grease, not Vaseline.

You can't break off fan blades unless you're drunk, high on coke, or
apply way, way too much force and forgot to first remove the circlip
or split washer that holds the shaft in place. The clip can be
removed with a jeweler's screwdriver.
From: Skybuck Flying on
Oh those fan blades break real easy...

It's like a lever, like so:

/<- push here
/
/
/
/
--------------

^ snaps there.

Ouch ! ;)

Sigh, I haven't looked at the cpu fan up close yet... too lazy to work on
the pc at the moment... and I have other things to do... ;) :)

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: SteveH on
Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Sigh, I haven't looked at the cpu fan up close yet... too lazy to
> work on the pc at the moment... and I have other things to do... ;) :)

Yup, being a professional tosser must keep you fully employed I suppose.

--
SteveH