From: PD on
On Jul 23, 1:24 pm, va...(a)icmf.inf.cu wrote:
> On 23 jul, 08:40, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don’t understand your comment. When you write U(r)=0 you are only
> > > assigning to U(r) the finite value 0 at some arbitrary r.
>
> > Yes, and for example, it is often customary to set U(r)=0 when
> > r=infinite.
>
> > > What
> > > relation do you establish between this and my question (not answered
> > > by you yet) about if exist or not a finite maximal limit value for
> > > U(r) when r tends to infinite?
>
> > Now do you see?
>
> > Have you NEVER studied out of a freshman physics text?
>
> I continue without seeing an answer from you to my original questions
> opening this thread. To say that it is often customary to set U(r)=0
> when r=infinite is not an answer at all.
> You say in a previous post
> that to put U(r)=0 when r=infinite is only a choice among others. If
> we set per example U(1)=0, that says nothing about the value of U(r)
> when r=infinite.

And that is very easy to calculate, once you've made the choice to set
U(1 m)=0. The answer is a finite number, 2.3E-28 J.
Of course, you get a different answer for U(r) when r=infinite, if you
chose instead U(5)= 0.

> Is so difficult to you to answer my original questions? If following
> you, this can be found in a freshman physics text, what excuse has you
> to not put your answers here? I showed you already the way to know my
> own ones.

Well, there's a couple reasons for that.
First of all, this is not a good forum to have reproduced for you the
contents of a freshman physics text. A newsgroup is not a place to get
a quick and easy education on physics. It also does a disservice to
the authors of freshman physics texts, who normally expect royalties
from the hard work they've put into putting all that stuff into a book
for sale, and to physics teachers, who normally expect salaries for
teaching physics to students. Third, there is a minimum expectation
for folks who are intersted in physics that they do some homework on
their own, using resources that they spend effort to acquire.
Declining to expend that effort and asking to have everything spoonfed
to you is a sure way to lose the interest of someone who could help
you.

that most physicists will attempt to answer by *reminding* you of how
to calculate it yourself. And if it turns out that you didn't know how
to calculate it in the first place, then you may discover that they
will suggest you teach yourself from first-course materials before
coming to the newsgroup asking questions about basics.

From: valls on
On 23 jul, 13:52, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 1:24 pm, va...(a)icmf.inf.cu wrote:

> > > Yes, and for example, it is often customary to set U(r)=0 when
> > > r=infinite.

> > > Now do you see?
>
> > > Have you NEVER studied out of a freshman physics text?
>
> > I continue without seeing an answer from you to my original questions
> > opening this thread. To say that it is often customary to set U(r)=0
> > when r=infinite is not an answer at all.
> > You say in a previous post
> > that to put U(r)=0 when r=infinite is only a choice among others. If
> > we set per example U(1)=0, that says nothing about the value of U(r)
> > when r=infinite.
>
> And that is very easy to calculate, once you've made the choice to set
> U(1 m)=0. The answer is a finite number, 2.3E-28 J.
> Of course, you get a different answer for U(r) when r=infinite, if you
> chose instead U(5)= 0.

Well, I see that you continue without answering my first question,
relative to the existence or not of a maximal finite limit for the
potential energy when r tends to infinite. I take note of your reasons
for not to put here a freshman physics text formula (I will try to not
interfere with that decision of your part). Anyway, from your
quantitative assertions I derived already what formula are you
managing.
Let us suppose that we decided to put U(0)=0. What happens with the
potential energy value when r tends to infinite? This is my first
question (not answered for you yet) for the particular case stated.
I am not sure now if you followed or not the path I gave you already
to see my own answers, because you make no comment about them.

RVHG (Rafael Valls Hidalgo-Gato)