From: Bill on
Hi David,

The images are jpegs.

"david" wrote:

> What kind of image? BMP, JPEG?
>
> (david)

From: david on
Access 2003 did not, by its self, have a way to display
JPEGs, nor a way to store them in tables.

To store JPEGS in tables you need to have an OLE
image program, so that you can store the image as
an OLE object.

To display JPEGs in the image control you need to have
an Office component called a 'graphics filter'. Office 2003
did not include a 'graphics filter' for JPEGs, but it was
included in the "Office File Converter Pack". The filter
converts JPEG's to DIB's for display (so you can
avoid the whole process by just using BMP instead of
JPEG).

Office 2007 handles JPEG without the JPEG filter, it only
uses the JPEG filter for some import/export stuff.

Do you have the Office 2003 "Office File Converter Pack"
installed, or is there a different version of Office installed
on the laptop?

Other work-arounds are to use an OLE object instead
of the image control, or to use the Intel filter:
http://www.lebans.com/loadsavejpeg.htm
or the Lebans filter:
http://www.lebans.com/loadjpeggif.htm

Also, sometimes just cutting-and-pasting on the target
system will fix up problems like this.

(david)

From: Bill on
David,

I honestly don't know.

However, the db has been running quite successfully on the XP desktop for
more than six years, quite successfully displaying jpegs (which jpegs
dependent upon file names included in db records).

The installation is from the same original disc (which includes Office SP3).
Note that the jpegs are being displayed quite successfully on the Laptop,
but at approx 50% of real size (in comparison to WPV and the Access Image Box
size)

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that I wrote this database, and
designed the forms as they are because Access 2003 DID support jpegs.

From: Bill on
David,

I may have misunderstood what you meant.

The jpegs themselves are not stored within the records of the db. Only the
filenames (without the .jpg extension - just to save record space) are stored
in db records. Extensive macro/VB scripting calls up the filenames within
the records to determine the names of the files to be displayed in the image
boxes.

From: david on
No No, you did understand what I meant, that was
in addition to the OLE stuff :~)

The native graphics of Windows 95-Windows XP
was "GDI", which is a Graphics API, not a file
format. Access can write DIB (device independent
bitmap) to the GDI API. Access can convert
BMP to DIB to GDI.

Office had an extra filter to convert JPEG to DIB. You
have this installed on your XP machine, however it got
there.

So, possible problems: (1), Windows 7 graphics is
not GDI based, although it has a GDI compatibility layer.
So maybe Windows 7 does not behave exactly like
Windows XP. (2) You don't really know what software
is displaying the JPEG on Windows 7. We know that
there must be a translation filter installed, otherwise
Access would not be able to display the JPEG in an
image control, but we don't know where the translation
filter came from.

In any case, we know that the display of the JPEGs in
the paint program is not relevant, because you are using
Access and the JPEG graphics filter. However, display
of JPEG in Word 2003 would be relevant, and probably
display of JPEG in Word 2007 would be relevant if you
import or export using the filter.

So, possible solutions:
(1) Fiddle with it.some of this stuff is buggy some of the
times - see the discussion on Lebans site about the effect
of upper-and-lower-case file names -. Re-installing and
effectively changing the installation order can change what
software is in use. Installing new software can change what
software is in use.
(1a) See if installing the Office 2003 filter pack changes the behaviour
(2) Use an OLE control to display the image, using a viewer
program
(3) Use an alternative filter from Lebans

It looks like you have a bug in the resizing. This would be
because the filter you are using is not working correctly with
Windows or Access. I don't think there are any configurable
parts to those filters, I think you are looking at a bug. My
guess would be a compatibility problem between Access and
the filter it has found.

You have been lucky so far -- this kind of thing has always
been a problem using the Image control or OLE graphics on
different PC's. We got around it by letting the Clients do their
own Graphics, so they could select a graphics format which
worked on their PC. Doesn't sound like you can do that, but
I don't think you will find an easy solution. Look to what is
installed on the laptop, and see if changing it helps.

> David,
>
> I may have misunderstood what you meant.
>
> The jpegs themselves are not stored within the records of the db. Only
> the
> filenames (without the .jpg extension - just to save record space) are
> stored
> in db records. Extensive macro/VB scripting calls up the filenames within
> the records to determine the names of the files to be displayed in the
> image
> boxes.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4