From: Salad on
Bob Alston wrote:
> Salad wrote:
>
>> Bob Alston wrote:

>>> To publish an Access database to Sharepoint, there are requirements
>>> that must be met.
>>>
>>> One requirement that the database be in Access 2007 format.
>>

>> Would that be a problem? One can link to a SharePoint table with A2003.
>>

>>> Another is that certain things are not allowed, such as the items I
>>> mentioned in my original posting.
>>

>> But the first and third appeared to be extremely minor. I didn't
>> understand the relationships issue you mentioned. Are the
>> relationships set in the Sharepoint site or in the Access app or
>> neither? Is there a new way to define relationships?
>>

>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Bob
>
> I really cannot yet answer your questions. I can just post questions I
> have.
>
> In using Access 2010 beta, I had to have the database in Access 2007
> format for the "publish to Sharepoint" option to become active. I have
> no idea how this works in older versions of Access.
>
> Bob

But isn't that A-OK? We're talking about publishing an app to the web.
That would include forms and reports. Not just back end data.

Albert mentioned there'd be some adjustments. I guess you came across some.
From: David W. Fenton on
Bob Alston <bobalston9(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> One requirement that the database be in Access 2007 format.

That is, ACCDB. MDB is also an Access 2007 format.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Salad <oil(a)vinegar.com> wrote in

> When is there a need for a composite index?

N:N join table with two columns, where each is the PK of the tables
being joined -- unique PK on two fields.

This is essential for any proper N:N join table.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Albert D. Kallal on
"Bob Alston" <bobalston9(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ok I got the Access 2010 beta. found I must have the database in Access
> 2007 format in order to be able to see the share to Sharepoint option and
> thereby get to the validation routine to see if it is compatible with
> Sharepoint. It wasn't.

We don't see a 2010 format here. So, taking a BIG stab at this, obviously
the 2007 and 2010 format will be the same or it not been changed for beta. I
see 2003, and then I see the current format. So, as it stands now, the
"latest" format is 2007...

I think in our computer industry, since about near day one, I quite sure
that new features as a general rule always relied on the newest file
formats.

I mean, you can't use older formats of access files and use the multi-value
fields that we received in 2007. So, this again is going to be no different,
then what, about the last 20 years of our computer industry?

So, for excel, if you use new features, they rarely will be backwards
available in previous versions.

so, for Word, if you use new features, they rarely will be backwards
available in pervious venison.

And, dbaseII could not open dbaseIII files...and...(well, you get the idea
here).

So for access, if you use new features, then one would not be surprised that
you need to use the latest format. I would expect this trend follows the
experience we seen for every product in the last 20 years of our industry...

> Three types of errors:
>
> Fields with characters not allowed (: ? $ ........)

I have never ever used any strange characters in fields for at least 10
years now. I think once used #, but really, no spaces, and no symbols is
something that been preached by long time regulars here likely since the
inception of this newsgroup. Now you learning why we preach such things. You
do realize that even sql server does not support spaces in field names?

So, no junk, and no spaces in field names is a great programming practice
that served me very well in the computer industry.

> Anyone who has been testing in the earlier test have suggestions for how
> to most easily fix these?

Well, for field names, simply get rid of the garbage characters you have,
and while you at it, adopt a policy of no spaces in field names.

> Cannot use composite indexes

Correct. You can certainly set/create an index on each column. From a
performance point of view, this should not hurt in most cases. However, if
you are using two columns, and an unique index on that column, then you have
to forego this feature. Another workaround is to use a trigger to fill out a
column that is the concatenation of the two values and place a unique index
on this column. eg:

SalesKey = [SalesRep] & "*" [AccountNumber]

So, in the above we take the sales rep, and the account number they been
assigned to. (only one rep can be assigned to a accountnumber), the above
will create a unique key column. We used this trick for years for PC
database systems like Revelation (remember that from the 80's!), and I also
used that trick for systems like IBM's universe and d3 (tiger logic).

If you followed the other thread, there was link to limitations of
SharePoint lists.

Some suggestions:

Primary Key:
Use ID, this has been the default PK for ms-access as an autonumber column
called ID for about 17 years now. It is a good default. Is quite much a
requirement to continue this trend for tables that you plan to send to
SharePoint.

In fact, if you every up-sized anything to sql server, you also find that
using ID for the PK column works quite well.

So, keep your designs to the simple PK of ID, and for FK values, again use a
number column.

Keep in mind that you must create a blank web database and then import
objects in for the checker to really work its magic. Note that all VBA
forms etc WILL pass the web checker since they are in fact by-passed during
the checking process. The reason for this is of course forms with VBA are
permitted in these applications. You will CLEARLY see what forms are
marked/set as web as opposed to client forms (no globe icon in the nav pane
for client objects). VBA client forms are permitted and they simply don't
publish to the web (so, they don't show up in the compatibility checker at
all either...they are skipped).

Once you have web tables, then you will quickly find out that to setup
relationships, you use the lookup wizard. If you need relations diagrams,
you have to use the query builder.

Unfortunately for SharePoint tables, they could not build a relationships
window editor. (it was a feature the access team wanted, but budgets + time
means it could not make this cut). Remember, after you published, changes +
edits to table designs are permitted, but the tables now reside on
SharePoint. At least we don't have to open the table (list) on the
SharePoint site to make the changes. I mean, with any odbc server you use
with access such as MySql, ms-sql, oracle etc, you have to go the server
side to make tables changes.

In access, we can add/delete, setup indexes, and setup relations all from
the ms-access client all the while the tables are on SharePoint. So, at
least we can modify server tables from inside of ms-access and not be forced
to go to the SharePoint site. So, at least we have this client table change
ability, but unfortunately we don't have the relationships window to do this
for us....

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: David W. Fenton on

> Bob Alston wrote:

>> One requirement that the database be in Access 2007 format.
>
> Would that be a problem? One can link to a SharePoint table with
> A2003.

I think you're completely missing the point. Bob was trying to test
the new publish to Sharepoint feature, where you create an ACCDB and
can publish it to Sharepoint, where it will run in the browser and
look nearly identical to the way it looks running in Access. There
was a humongous thread on this very topic last week.

Linking to Sharepoint is not even close to the same thing as the new
features being offered by A2010 in terms of Sharepoint integration.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last