From: David W. Fenton on
"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in

> "David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> So far as I understand it, because Sharepoint doesn't support
>> multi-field indexes it therefore cannot support composite PKs.
>> So, your suggestion only partway solves the problem, as it
>> provides a replacement PK for the multi-column key.
>>
>> But it doesn't address the indexing issue -- unique indexes on
>> multiple columns are pretty important, don't you think?
>
> Do you mean a compound index like an index based on more then one
> column, or do you mean several collumns each with an unique index?

I mean exactly what I said, a compound index, i.e., an index with
more than one column.

> We have the 2nd case above..
>
> So, you can have many indexes, and they all each be set as unique.
> You simply don't have indexes that are compound, or the result of
> more then one column however. So, that's why I gave that possible
> work around.

But your workaround does not actually solve the problem. If the
table requires a unique index on multiple columns (as in the N:N
join table) you cannot implement it properly. If you have a unique
natural key that needs to be enforced at the engine level, you're
stuck.

> So, to be clear:
> for 2010 you can have many indexes. And as many as those columns
> can be set as unique.
>
> We just don't have a compound index ability.

And that's a major, major lack.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on

> In other words, if you use a table feature in 2010, access 2007
> can open it, but will inform you it can't be updated.

This is exactly the way replicated files worked, i.e., a replicated
Jet 3.5 file could be opened in A2000 but read-only.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Salad on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in
>>So, to be clear:
>>for 2010 you can have many indexes. And as many as those columns
>>can be set as unique.
>>
>>We just don't have a compound index ability.
>

> And that's a major, major lack.

Could I ask why? I remember using compound indexes back in the days of
Dbase and FoxPro but with Access...never. I'm sure there's a reason and
a use for them but I wouldn't know where they'd be useful or why.

From: David W. Fenton on
Salad <oil(a)vinegar.com> wrote in

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>> "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in
>>>So, to be clear:
>>>for 2010 you can have many indexes. And as many as those columns
>>>can be set as unique.
>>>
>>>We just don't have a compound index ability.
>>
>> And that's a major, major lack.
>>
> Could I ask why? I remember using compound indexes back in the
> days of Dbase and FoxPro but with Access...never. I'm sure
> there's a reason and a use for them but I wouldn't know where
> they'd be useful or why.

N:N join table, two IDs from the tables you are joining. You want a
unique index on the combination of the two columns, and, of course,
it should also be the PK.

I have dozens of such tables in my apps. Doesn't everyone?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Salad on
David W. Fenton wrote:

> Salad <oil(a)vinegar.com> wrote in
>

>>David W. Fenton wrote:
>>
>>>"Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkallal(a)msn.com> wrote in

>>>And that's a major, major lack.
>>>

>>Could I ask why? I remember using compound indexes back in the
>>days of Dbase and FoxPro but with Access...never. I'm sure
>>there's a reason and a use for them but I wouldn't know where
>>they'd be useful or why.
>

> N:N join table, two IDs from the tables you are joining. You want a
> unique index on the combination of the two columns, and, of course,
> it should also be the PK.
>
> I have dozens of such tables in my apps. Doesn't everyone?

What is a N:N?

I suppose there's a use for compound indexes and if you have lots of
tables that utilize compound indexes, you have a need. I haven't found
the need but that might be due to my application logic.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Keeping A Citrix Session Alive?
Next: Help in A2010