From: Steve Pope on
Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> What I am saying is Standard Model got
> stuck; there is a need for new ideas.

"Surfer Dude Discovers Theory of Everything"

Antony Garrett Lisi, has proposed a theory of particle physics
based on the Lie group E8 (discovered and researched by Wilhelm
Killing and Elie Cartan). Lisi's theory is described as
associating 226 known fundamental particles with 226 of the 248
symmetries of E8, with the balance presumably corresponding to
as-yet-undiscovered particles.

(Googling will provide more information on this theory...)

Steve
From: PD on
On Mar 12, 3:37 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> PD wrote:

> >>The results will be inconclusive as usual. There would be offered 10
> >>explanations why, published 10000 papers, and, after passionate
> >>discussions at symposiums, everyone will agree that the LHC design was
> >>wrong and insufficient and yet larger colider has to be built. This time
> >>it must be a break through, we know this for sure, etc. etc.
>
> > What would constitute conclusiveness to you? A final theory? Why?
>
> > No one has ever said that the Tevatron design was wrong and
> > insufficient. It did exactly what it was intended to do, and it also
> > produced more physics than what was ever anticipated at the time it
> > was built. Nevertheless, what we learned as a *result* of the Tevatron
> > pointed us clearly toward the new physics that would have to be found
> > at the LHC.
>
> > Is it your aspiration that one day we would be DONE, having nothing
> > further to learn, and so nothing more to explore? Why on earth would
> > you want that?
>
> Yea, yea. Pyramids and stonehenges were built in attempt to get better
> mutual understanding with gods.

As I said, do you have a problem with fundamental research without an
eye to application and think all of that is a waste of time? You said
no new knowledge would come of that.

> The best minds of those days stongly
> advised temporal rulers to invest into that; besides, it seemed like
> they are accomplishing some result. On the contrary, most if not all
> important discoveries were done with very limited resources and without
>   monstrosity and pomposity.

And most of the discoveries today are still being done with very
limited resources and a small group of researchers. However, it's also
true that in a few areas, larger investments have made, and it's no
different today than it was back then.

> What I am saying is Standard Model got
> stuck; there is a need for new ideas.

As I told you, those new ideas are precisely in play at the LHC
because we already know the Standard Model breaks at the 1 TeV scale.
You are asking for new ideas to be tested, and the LHC is providing
that for you. Why are you chagrined again?

PD

From: brent on
On Mar 12, 4:37 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>On the contrary, most if not all
> important discoveries were done with very limited resources and without
>   monstrosity and pomposity.
>
> VLV

And also done without peer reviewed science. Funny how the psuedo
science needs peer review. How much peer needed to convince the
masses that the science behind the nuclear bomb was correct?

From: Raymond Yohros on
On Mar 12, 11:14 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> PD wrote:
> > That depends on what you mean by "accomplish nothing." Do you consider
> > fundamental research that is done purely for knowledge and without an
> > eye to application to be accomplishing nothing?
>
> No new knowledge.

the knoledge its the standard model!
it has to be verified by observation.
no other cyclotron can reproduce
as close as posible the conditions of the bb

i can agree with you that there are many more
creative ways to proceed when you have
money limitations and that can be directly applied
to engineering even when the results are not
shown on a screen by a detector.

but it will be nice to hear and see them.

regards
r.y

From: Les Cargill on
John Tserkezis wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 8:30 PM, Richard Dobson wrote:
>
>>> According to their plan, the first 2*3.5TeV collisions will be
>>> performed the 30-th of March.
>
>> I am sure we will all look forward to your next set of predictions on
>> April 1st!
>
> I'm waiting for the black hole to form, subsequently selectively
> sucking up all the kooks.

Long ago in a galaxy far away....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSkyEyBczU

I actually have the Epi Les Paul gold sparkletop based on that Guild.

--
Les Cargill