From: Duke Normandin on

I'm new to Ada, but not to programming in general. Decided to learn a new
language, and Ada was of interest to me. Am enjoying the language so far -
using GNAT GPL nad Coronado's old tutorial.

Just curious to know if Ada is still widely used, and in what area(s) does
it excel, e.g. data processing, number crunching, graphics, etc? TIA..
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Alex Mentis on
On May 20, 8:53 am, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)ml1.net> wrote:
> I'm new to Ada, but not to programming in general. Decided to learn a new
> language, and Ada was of interest to me. Am enjoying the language so far -
> using GNAT GPL nad Coronado's old tutorial.
>
> Just curious to know if Ada is still widely used, and in what area(s) does
> it excel, e.g. data processing, number crunching, graphics, etc? TIA..
> --
> Duke
> *** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

There are others who will be more qualified to answer this than me,
but
annecdotally it sounds to me like Ada has a wider base in Europe right
now
than in the US.

The language is good for embedded, real-time, and safety-critical
software
where high reliability is required. It is often used in the space
and
aviation industries for these reasons.

Some like Ada as a teaching language. A lot of its syntax is Pascal-
like.
A frequently-cited weakness in the academic area is that there are not
a lot
of people developing packages for Ada that students can use to achieve
high level of functionality for a low cost (in time) of learning.
Students
tend to be able to do much more advanced (graphics, networking, etc.)
projects more quickly with languages that have more libraries and
community
support than Ada currently offers.

Alex
From: Pascal Obry on
Alex,

> A frequently-cited weakness in the academic area is that there are not
> a lot
> of people developing packages for Ada that students can use to achieve
> high level of functionality for a low cost (in time) of learning.
> Students
> tend to be able to do much more advanced (graphics, networking, etc.)
> projects more quickly with languages that have more libraries and
> community
> support than Ada currently offers.

This is the exact opposite of what a professor reported here on
comp.lang.ada some time ago. Despites that Java offers lot of libraries
not a single student was able to finish properly the yearly project
where Ada student used to almost all finish the project.

Pascal.

--| Pascal Obry Team-Ada Member
--| http://www.obry.net - http://v2p.fr.eu.org
--|

From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Thu, 20 May 2010 17:05:36 +0200, Pascal Obry <pascal(a)obry.net> a écrit:
> comp.lang.ada some time ago. Despites that Java offers lot of libraries
> not a single student was able to finish properly the yearly project
> where Ada student used to almost all finish the project.
.... and with less errors (I remember a report, but not the url, sorry)

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Thu, 20 May 2010 15:59:03 +0200, Alex Mentis <asmentis(a)gmail.com> a
écrit:
> A frequently-cited weakness in the academic area is that there are not
> a lot
> of people developing packages for Ada that students can use to achieve
> high level of functionality for a low cost (in time) of learning.
> Students
I remember Jean-Pierre Rosen, telling how some people think there is not
library available in Ada for this and that. He explained most of of times,
people was surprised when he gave them a link to the material they were
seeking for.

Here is a list of bindings which may be of interest (I'm not using this
material myself, so cannot tell more):
http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/free-bindings.html

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.