From: tmoran on
>The language is good for embedded, real-time, and safety-critical
>software
>where high reliability is required. It is often used in the space
I run a TV channel with Ada. It handles downloading video files,
old shows, scheduling (and notifying TV Guide et al), and of course
playing on Comcast and UVerse. Reliability, concurrency, real-time
(one second or less), catching exceptions, are important.
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Fri, 21 May 2010 02:30:52 +0200, Marc A. Criley <mcNOSPAM(a)mckae.com> a
écrit:
> While not so much an explicit *resource* site, the Ada sub-reddit
> (http://www.reddit.com/r/ada) contains links to articles, discussions,
> software libraries, projects, and is just a potpourri of Ada goodness.
> Just start paging back through the submissions...
>
> Submissions are welcome from any and all Ada fans.
Please, Welcome for any kind of project or is it restricted to GPL project
?
I keep this in my bookmarks, perhaps this may be useful in the futur
(well, to me, I guess it is already useful for many people).
Also, is it english only or is there some provision to inform about
articles in french ?
Thanks for the tip

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
From: Randy Brukardt on
"Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>I remember Jean-Pierre Rosen, telling how some people think there is not
>library available in Ada for this and that. He explained most of of times,
>people was surprised when he gave them a link to the material they were
>seeking for.
>
>Here is a list of bindings which may be of interest (I'm not using this
>material myself, so cannot tell more):
>http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/free-bindings.html

The archive site contains ancient web pages of dubious value. Look on the
main AdaIC web site for such things, particularly in the links section:
http://www.adaic.com/links/index.html in the classifications "Software
Libraries" and "Development Tools". (And tell me about any broken links.)

Another way to find specific Ada stuff is to use the Ada-wide search engine:
http://www.adaic.com/site/wide-search.html, which attempts to search all
sites with known Ada information (this corresponds to the sites linked from
the AdaIC site). It uses a search engine written in Ada (of course); we
crawl all of the sites at least monthly. As of the crawl completed this
morning, there were 59,172 Ada-related pages in the index.

Randy.

From: Randy Brukardt on
"Gautier write-only" <gautier_niouzes(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>That's exactly the problem with web homes: they need lots of
>maintenance.
>Once the time for it is gone, they become ghost homes - to begin with
>dead links...
>I could cite around 4-5 absolutely definitive enthusiastic "Ada homes"
>at different stage of abandon...

I think there are 4 that I know of. Unless you are also including AdaIC,
which is definitely not abandoned, just suffering from the lack of new
material. If you know of something that ought to be linked on AdaIC, by all
means send it in.

And keep in mind that the archives at the AdaIC is generally ancient content
that we preserved from the old government run AdaIC. Most of it is of
dubious value (a few things, like the on-line Ada 83 RM, get a lot of use
and still have value to some). But I don't like deleting stuff when storage
is essentially free. If it has that "archives.adaic.com" address, its in the
archives. Stick to www.adaic.org or www.adaic.com for modern stuff.

Randy. (Webmaster of the moment for AdaIC).

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Thu, 20 May 2010 23:29:36 +0200, Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57) wrote:

> I would say it is good for core implementations, where no higher level
> paradigms was shown to be better suited ; that is, most of system-level
> and most of core application-level. For higher levels, there is a galaxy
> specific-domain-languages which may be better.

1. They are not higher level. It is a usual misconception. To be closer to
the application domain /= higher level. Usually domain-specific languages
are of an extremely low level. You normally are unable to develop higher
(rather any) abstractions there. You are limited to the built in ones.
Domain specific languages usually lack type system, certainly have no
user-defined types (ADTs), provide no mechanisms for decompositions etc.
You can consider it on the examples of UML, XML, SQL, Simulink etc.

2. They aren't better, at least from the SW engineering POV. Usually you
can quickly get the job done for some simple or else well-decoupled case.
Far more often you get 80% done. But the rest 20% is almost impossible to
accomplish, because these languages are too specialized, too weak,
unsuitable for integration, design of large systems, unmaintainable. You
will have to write some insertions in a "working" language like Ada. E.g.
S-function for Simulink etc. This might work, or not, because there is a
question of the ugly SW architecture these languages would impose on your
solution.

I don't believe in domain-specific languages, 4GL, 5GL etc. I have seen too
many of them.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov