From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Sat, 22 May 2010 01:05:33 +0200, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)ml1.net> a
écrit:
> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in
> museum.
It had a long live, and will have a long live again.
The goo word could be “persistent”.

It started at the end of the years 1970, first standardized in 1983,
revised in someway, the again revised in 1995 with many additions which
make it the first standardized OO language (while Ada does not handle OO
the same way as others), then again revised in 2005, and the next revision
is planned for 2012 or 2015 (I feel lost with this date... should be 2015,
while many people are talking about 2012).

It was modern, in its early age, starting with Ada 83. It is unlikely that
something which was ahead in 1983 and which in 1983, already embedded
paradigms still totally unknown of most of 2010 languages, it is unlikely
such a thing can be referred to as a “fossil”.

Don't be afraid for that. Not popular, does not implies bad (and popular
does not implies good).

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-21, Yannick Duch�ne <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Le Sat, 22 May 2010 01:07:46 +0200, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)ml1.net> a
> �crit:
>> Thanks for putting SPARK in the proper perspective for me. I guessed
>> that it
>> might be a specialized incarnation of Ada, but wasn't quite sure.
> This is far more strict and has far more requirements on the design, it
> takes really more long to create an application with SPARK and full
> validity conditions proofs. That was the reason to suggest you to start
> with Ada, instead of SPARK. Don't bother any way, as on the way to learn
> Ada, you will also learn part of SPARK, as the latter relies on the former.

Good point!
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Jeffrey R. Carter on
Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:

> It started at the end of the years 1970, first standardized in 1983,

Ada was 1st standardized in 1980, MIL-STD-1815 (1980 Dec 10).

--
Jeff Carter
"C's solution to this [variable-sized array parameters] has real
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-21, Yannick Duch�ne <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Le Sat, 22 May 2010 01:05:33 +0200, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)ml1.net> a
> �crit:
>> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
>> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in
>> museum.
> It had a long live, and will have a long live again.
> The goo word could be ?persistent?.
>
> It started at the end of the years 1970, first standardized in 1983,
> revised in someway, the again revised in 1995 with many additions which
> make it the first standardized OO language (while Ada does not handle OO
> the same way as others), then again revised in 2005, and the next revision
> is planned for 2012 or 2015 (I feel lost with this date... should be 2015,
> while many people are talking about 2012).
>
> It was modern, in its early age, starting with Ada 83. It is unlikely that
> something which was ahead in 1983 and which in 1983, already embedded
> paradigms still totally unknown of most of 2010 languages, it is unlikely
> such a thing can be referred to as a ?fossil?.
>
> Don't be afraid for that. Not popular, does not implies bad (and popular
> does not implies good).

I didn't mean to say that Ada _was_ a fossil! When I originally asked the
question, I simply wanted to be sure that I was not in fact about to embark
on an archaeological expedition. ;)

From: Stephen Leake on

www.adaic.com

--