From: jonathan on
On May 20, 1:53 pm, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)ml1.net> wrote:
> I'm new to Ada, but not to programming in general. Decided to learn a new
> language, and Ada was of interest to me. Am enjoying the language so far -
> using GNAT GPL nad Coronado's old tutorial.
>
> Just curious to know if Ada is still widely used, and in what area(s) does
> it excel, e.g. data processing, number crunching, graphics, etc? TIA..
> --
> Duke
> *** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

Here's some of the best introductory material I've come
across recently:

http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/AdaEvent/abstracts.html#researchada

Slides from 4 talks. They're all good, but I would start
with Robert Dewar's "What's New in the World of Ada".
Page 5 should warm the heart of any Ada programmer. I
also liked Erhard Ploedereder's "Ada in Research and
Education, an Experience Report" - much to learn from
the comparison with Java.

And 2 classics:

http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2000/08/mccormick.html
http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2008/05/0805Sutton.html

Jonathan
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-20, Yannick Duch�ne <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Le Fri, 21 May 2010 01:17:45 +0200, Gautier write-only
><gautier_niouzes(a)hotmail.com> a �crit:
>> I could cite around 4-5 absolutely definitive enthusiastic "Ada homes"
>> at different stage of abandon...
> If he is really new to Ada, not sure he will understand this sentence,
> hihihi.
>
> One Minute Silence

> Rest in peace AdaHome,
> We will all miss you for eternity
> ?So say we all!?

Well, _I am_ new to Ada, and have no clue what you guys mean with this "Ada
Homes" thing. I bet its a good story though... ;)
--
Duke Normandin
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-21, jonathan <johnscpg(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 1:53�pm, Duke Normandin <dukeofp...(a)ml1.net> wrote:
>> I'm new to Ada, but not to programming in general. Decided to learn a new
>> language, and Ada was of interest to me. Am enjoying the language so far -
>> using GNAT GPL nad Coronado's old tutorial.
>>
>> Just curious to know if Ada is still widely used, and in what area(s) does
>> it excel, e.g. data processing, number crunching, graphics, etc? TIA..
>> --
>> Duke
>> *** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***
>

> Here's some of the best introductory material I've come
> across recently:
>
> http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/AdaEvent/abstracts.html#researchada
>
> Slides from 4 talks. They're all good, but I would start
> with Robert Dewar's "What's New in the World of Ada".
> Page 5 should warm the heart of any Ada programmer. I
> also liked Erhard Ploedereder's "Ada in Research and
> Education, an Experience Report" - much to learn from
> the comparison with Java.
>
> And 2 classics:
>
> http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2000/08/mccormick.html
> http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/2008/05/0805Sutton.html
>
> Jonathan

Thanks for the URLs! I visited
http://distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be/events/AdaEvent/abstracts.html#researchada

To begin with. Looks like I should be learning SPARK? or should I start with
Ada, _then_ graduate to SPARK?
--
Duke Normandin
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-21, Randy Brukardt <randy(a)rrsoftware.com> wrote:
> "Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote in message
>>I remember Jean-Pierre Rosen, telling how some people think there is not
>>library available in Ada for this and that. He explained most of of times,
>>people was surprised when he gave them a link to the material they were
>>seeking for.
>>
>>Here is a list of bindings which may be of interest (I'm not using this
>>material myself, so cannot tell more):
>>http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/free-bindings.html
>
> The archive site contains ancient web pages of dubious value. Look on the
> main AdaIC web site for such things, particularly in the links section:
> http://www.adaic.com/links/index.html in the classifications "Software
> Libraries" and "Development Tools". (And tell me about any broken links.)
>
> Another way to find specific Ada stuff is to use the Ada-wide search engine:
> http://www.adaic.com/site/wide-search.html, which attempts to search all
> sites with known Ada information (this corresponds to the sites linked from
> the AdaIC site). It uses a search engine written in Ada (of course); we
> crawl all of the sites at least monthly. As of the crawl completed this
> morning, there were 59,172 Ada-related pages in the index.
>
> Randy.

Nice site referenced above! Followed a few links -- now I know about "Ada
Home", I think? Must be the Magnus Kempe Saga? Whatever... ;)
--
Duke Normandin
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-20, Gautier write-only <gautier_niouzes(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On May 20, 8:58�pm, Duke Normandin wrote:
>
>> >http://archive.adaic.com/docs/flyers/free-bindings.html
>>
>> That URL is not much good - all the links are dead!
>>
>> Perhaps Ada should have a _real_ home, where it is guaranteed that noob
>> students, and noob old farts like me will indeed find the resources needed
>> to make Ada shine! ;)
>
> That's exactly the problem with web homes: they need lots of
> maintenance.

Every web site worth having require maintenance...

> Once the time for it is gone, they become ghost homes - to begin with
> dead links...
> I could cite around 4-5 absolutely definitive enthusiastic "Ada homes"
> at different stage of abandon...
> The wiki's Manuel is citing are in a better shape because of a better
> concept.
> Other good places to chase resources are also non Ada-centric sites:

Very good reason why the Ada community should encourage one "official" Home
with links to various community resources - an "official" Ada "Information
Booth".

Thanks for the URLs!
--
Duke Normandin
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***