From: Peter C. Chapin on
Duke Normandin wrote:

> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in a
> museum. Been there; done that! I'm also looking at learning Miranda - but
> guess what? Nice, simple functional language - but zero community and
> support. It _may_ get a second life - maybe. Meanwhile, I'm liking Ada.

Ada is definitely not a fossil, nor is it likely to become a fossil in the
near future. It's true that Ada doesn't have the tool, library, and community
support that C++ and Java enjoys (in terms of sheer quantity at least), but
there are definitely all three of those things available for Ada. Also the
language has an updated standard in the works.

If you are looking at functional languages have you considered OCaml? It has a
lively community. An alternative might be F#, Microsoft's ML-like functional
language for .NET. It's shiny and new, and Microsoft fully supports it with
Visual Studio 2010. It even runs on Linux/Mono. Other than that I don't know
much about it. :)

Peter

From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-22, Peter C. Chapin <pcc482719(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Duke Normandin wrote:
>
>> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
>> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in a
>> museum. Been there; done that! I'm also looking at learning Miranda - but
>> guess what? Nice, simple functional language - but zero community and
>> support. It _may_ get a second life - maybe. Meanwhile, I'm liking Ada.
>
> Ada is definitely not a fossil, nor is it likely to become a fossil in the
> near future. It's true that Ada doesn't have the tool, library, and community
> support that C++ and Java enjoys (in terms of sheer quantity at least), but
> there are definitely all three of those things available for Ada. Also the
> language has an updated standard in the works.

I'm seeing that Ada is alive and well, and still "strutting her stuff" ;)
Just had to be sure, is all....

> If you are looking at functional languages have you considered OCaml? It has a
> lively community. An alternative might be F#, Microsoft's ML-like functional
> language for .NET. It's shiny and new, and Microsoft fully supports it with
> Visual Studio 2010. It even runs on Linux/Mono. Other than that I don't know
> much about it. :)

I quit smoking Camel cigarettes 10 years ago. Whenever I go near the OCaml
language, I get antsy for a cigarette. ;) Haskell is too much like "a
hassle". OTOH, Miranda conjures up fond memories of long ago ... ;)
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Gautier write-only on
> >I could cite around 4-5 absolutely definitive enthusiastic "Ada homes"
> >at different stage of abandon...

Randy:

> I think there are 4 that I know of. Unless you are also including AdaIC,

No!

> which is definitely not abandoned, just suffering from the lack of new
> material.

Gautier
From: Anonymous on
> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in a
> museum.

No risk there, Ada was a fossil in 1983. But it's one of those fossils we
love and it's just too good to die.

From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-23, Anonymous <cripto(a)ecn.org> wrote:
>> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
>> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in a
>> museum.
>
> No risk there, Ada was a fossil in 1983. But it's one of those fossils we
> love and it's just too good to die.

;)

I'm twice Ada's age, and feeling a little fossil-ly myself. Hope I can hang
in there like Ada has. ;)
--
Duke Normandin
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***