From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Fri, 21 May 2010 00:58:26 +0200, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)ml1.net> a
écrit:
> Ada continues to attrack me; but so does Miranda ( and Giselle and Sophie
> ...) ;)
These are two very different paths. Miranda would be more close to what
are “domain specific languages”... well, not exactly, but close.

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Sat, 22 May 2010 01:05:33 +0200, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)ml1.net> a
écrit:
> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in
> museum. Been there; done that! I'm also looking at learning Miranda - but
> guess what? Nice, simple functional language - but zero community and
> support. It _may_ get a second life - maybe. Meanwhile, I'm liking Ada..
I suppose you know about Haskel, don't you ? Seems to have a wider
community if I'm not wrong.

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-23, Yannick Duch�ne <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Le Sat, 22 May 2010 01:05:33 +0200, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)ml1.net> a
> �crit:
>> Nothing too terribly mind-boggling! ;) Just don't want to spend the time
>> learning a "soon-to-be" fossil of a language, with no where to go but in
>> museum. Been there; done that! I'm also looking at learning Miranda - but
>> guess what? Nice, simple functional language - but zero community and
>> support. It _may_ get a second life - maybe. Meanwhile, I'm liking Ada.
> I suppose you know about Haskel, don't you ? Seems to have a wider
> community if I'm not wrong.

I've looked at it - too slow! The community seems more "chatty" than what is
the case with some other languages. However, IMO, an active NG does not,
IMO, indicate the usage a language receives in problem solving. The Ada
community, e.g. cannot be characterized as chatty, but that very same
community is probably very big, very experienced, and very busy - too busy
to be lurking in a NG. ;) I'm the only noob here from what I can see.

My hunch is that Haskell is nowhere close to being a problem-solver that Ada
appears to be.
--
Duke
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-05-23, Yannick Duch�ne <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Le Fri, 21 May 2010 00:58:26 +0200, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl(a)ml1.net> a
> �crit:
>> Ada continues to attract me; but so does Miranda ( and Giselle and Sophie
>> ...) ;)
> These are two very different paths. Miranda would be more close to what
> are ?domain specific languages?... well, not exactly, but close.

Domain-specific? How so? Because it's a functional language, and therefore
only good for .....

From: Bruno Le Hyaric on
Can I animate the debate with one opensource examples of Ada/Spark
usage from the NSA :
http://www.adacore.com/home/products/sparkpro/tokeneer/

Even if I did't have the time to review the whole project, it seems to
be a very good demonstration
of Ada/Spark usage with code generation, formal verification with Z
notation and cost effectiveness!

By the way, in my opininon, any computer language is not really
important, and should not be in the future...
only the deep understanding of concepts manipulated throw languages
are important.
So, choose one procedural language, one object oriented, one
functional, one formal...and so on... then learn them all!
Next you have to choose the right language to answer the problem
right.

To finish, Ada is not bad, but I wouldn't base my professional career
on it.

One question, why did Lockheed Martin choose C++ for avionics software
on the JSF aircraft project?

Bruno.