From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:13:21 +0200, Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57) wrote:

> Le Tue, 25 May 2010 19:34:43 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov
> <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> a �crit:
>> 2. Practically, is there any SQL parser written in SQL?
> Because SQL is a DSL.

Which are in majority. Universal-purpose languages are in minority. Likely
further limited to predominantly imperative languages.

>> P.S. I bet Ada is better for writing a C compiler than C.
> May be or may be not. This can be done well in C too (the author is as
> much important as the implementation language) and then, C advocators will
> obviously try to create it using C. So C is most likely to be the choice.

It is about personal preferences, not as J-P said, about some language
structures. Language structures are largely shared by all universal-purpose
languages.

> If the product is good, this does not matter for
> users if the source is hard to maintain and understand.

1. Users do not maintain compilers
2. C code is unmaintainable
3. I never saw a good C compiler, probably because none was written in Ada
(:-). The best was DEC C, I guess it wasn't in C (Maybe I am wrong)

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Wed, 26 May 2010 09:21:52 +0200, Stephen Leake
<stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> a écrit:
> "Ada" refers to a standard language definition. It is written in
> English (there may be translations to other languages available).
Really ?
I've never seen it in an other language than English (my self, in the
past, I though about doing a french translation, bug gave up : too much
work and time required for strictly no return expected).

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
From: AdaMagica on
On 26 Mai, 09:59, Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) <yannick_duch...(a)yahoo.fr>
wrote:
> Le Wed, 26 May 2010 09:21:52 +0200, Stephen Leake
> <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org> a écrit:> "Ada" refers to a standard language definition. It is written in
> > English (there may be translations to other languages available).
>
> Really ?
> I've never seen it in an other language than English (my self, in the
> past, I though about doing a french translation, bug gave up : too much
> work and time required for strictly no return expected).

For Ada 83, there's a translation into German (I've got it at home) by
Siemens, which is quite good.
For Ada 95, there's a translation into russian http://www.ada-ru.org/,
but I can't judge the quality.
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 01:06:06 -0700 (PDT), AdaMagica wrote:

> On 26 Mai, 09:59, Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57) <yannick_duch...(a)yahoo.fr>
> wrote:
>> Le Wed, 26 May 2010 09:21:52 +0200, Stephen Leake �
>> <stephen_le...(a)stephe-leake.org> a �crit:> "Ada" refers to a standard language definition. It is written in
>>> English (there may be translations to other languages available).
>>
>> Really ?
>> I've never seen it in an other language than English (my self, in the �
>> past, I though about doing a french translation, bug gave up : too much �
>> work and time required for strictly no return expected).
>
> For Ada 83, there's a translation into German (I've got it at home) by
> Siemens, which is quite good.

I have a Russian translation of the Ada 83 standard, published under one
cover with Gehani. Both were excellent.

> For Ada 95, there's a translation into russian http://www.ada-ru.org/,
> but I can't judge the quality.

This is not a translation of the standard, it is an original work on the
principles and techniques of programming in Ada. It is good, IMO, deserves
publishing in English and other languages.

AFAIK all Rationales are translated into Russian. I cannot tell if the
actual standard is. (I am not a big fan of translated standards.)

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Yannick Duchêne wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> I've never seen [the Ada standard] in an other language than English
> (my self, in the past, I though about doing a french translation,
> bug gave up : too much work and time required for strictly no return
> expected).

I have a copy of the Ada 83 standard in French at home. A real
collector's item :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.