From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 18:50:32 +0200, J-P. Rosen wrote:

> Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) a écrit :
>> Le Thu, 27 May 2010 08:49:23 +0200, J-P. Rosen <rosen(a)adalog.fr> a écrit:
>>> Actually, the reason why the ISO standard is 4 years older than the ANSI
>>> standard is that it had to wait for the french translation.
>> Does it have something to deal with the AFNOR ? (Association française
>> de normalisation, i.e. French office of normalization).
> Yes, it is the official AFNOR/EN standard.
>
>> Why is french so much important with international standards ? I've
>> already noted, from long ago, the Unicode standard gives an as good
>> place to french as it gives english.
>
> ISO has three official languages: English, French and Russian. At that
> time, a standard had to be published in two of these languages. Given
> that the English version had been written by French people sponsored by
> the US DoD, Russian was rapidly dismissed...

Nevertheless, in 1988 Ada was published as a USSR state standard (ГОСТ
27831-88). In the same year an ANSI/MIL-STD-1815A translation was published
without a reference to either ГОСТ or ISO.

Funny. I don't have the ГОСТ 27831-88, but suppose it is an independent
translation. In the late USSR there existed several competing departments
responsible for hardware and software... A triumph of planned economy, as
one could say. (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Tue, 25 May 2010 04:02:20 +0200, Stephen Leake
<stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> a écrit:
> It is much easier to measure results than to enforce process. But people
> don't want to spend the time to do that either.
Not sure (but I don't bother, as my opinion is difficult to argue)

> Banks get good software for their central money servers, because they
> insist that they actually work, and are secure, and spend the money to
> ensure that happens (and some of them are written in SPARK).
And the others ?

> NASA's space shuttle software doesn't fail, because they insist on not
> killing astronauts. The strategy in response to that requirement is to
> take CMM to heart,
What is CMM ?

> Commercial airline software is more reliable than the rest of the plane.
I encounter difficulties interpreting this one : do you mean commercial
applications or an airline company are typically more reliable than the
one its planes ?

if that is so, that's frightening

> Good software is possible, it's just hard work on everyone's part.
Perhaps the hardest one is finally investment on the client side (I mean,
the human client).

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
--# check C and WhoKnowWhat and YouKnowWho;
From: Niklas Holsti on
Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57) wrote:
> Le Tue, 25 May 2010 04:02:20 +0200, Stephen Leake
> <stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> a �crit:
>> NASA's space shuttle software doesn't fail, because they insist on not
>> killing astronauts. The strategy in response to that requirement is to
>> take CMM to heart,
> What is CMM ?

"... a development model elicited from actual data. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_Maturity_Model

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:23:14 +0200, Niklas Holsti
<niklas.holsti(a)tidorum.invalid> a écrit:
>> What is CMM ?
>
> "... a development model elicited from actual data. "
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_Maturity_Model

Ah, OK, that is a certification of quality of service (somewhat comparable
to ISO 9001) in the domain of leading/driving software projects.

(if I'm not wrong if this summary)

From: Stephen Leake on
"Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> writes:

> Le Tue, 25 May 2010 04:02:20 +0200, Stephen Leake
> <stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> a écrit:

> What is CMM ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_Maturity_Model

>> Commercial airline software is more reliable than the rest of the plane.
> I encounter difficulties interpreting this one : do you mean
> commercial applications or an airline company are typically more
> reliable than the one its planes ?

I mean the software in embedded computers on an airplane is more
reliable than the mechanical components in the airplane.

--
-- Stephe