From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 5/20/2010 11:49 AM, Gautier write-only wrote:
> On May 20, 2:53 pm, Duke Normandin wrote:
>

>> and in what area(s) does it excel, e.g. data processing, number crunching, graphics, etc?
>

> It is excellent in these areas, and probably in many others...

I think the fact that complex numbers are not a build-in primitive data
type in Ada makes it bit harder to use for number crunching.

Fortran, for example, had complex numbers build into the language. I
wonder why the orginal designers did not add complex data type to the
design of Ada.

Other than that, I think Ada would be a very good choice for number
crunching, but from what I see, it is very little used in this area.

--Nasser

From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:00:07 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov
<mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> a écrit:
> Another problem which worries me, is program changes. Let I modify the
> program, the result is *another* program. How can I talk about the
> "reliability" of what? Well, they share some code, but certainly we
> cannot
> consider source lines random. E.g. Let I modify 0,01% of the source of
> 90%
> "reliable" program. I can tell nothing about whether the result is 90%
> reliable +/- factor * 0.01%. This model just does not work.
So this is chaotic (and there is a science which can talk about it too).

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
--# check C and WhoKnowWhat and YouKnowWho;
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:04:52 +0200, Nasser M. Abbasi <nma(a)12000.org> a
écrit:
>>> and in what area(s) does it excel, e.g. data processing, number
>>> crunching, graphics, etc?
>>

>> It is excellent in these areas, and probably in many others...
>
> I think the fact that complex numbers are not a build-in primitive data
> type in Ada makes it bit harder to use for number crunching.
>
> Fortran, for example, had complex numbers build into the language. I
> wonder why the orginal designers did not add complex data type to the
> design of Ada.
>
> Other than that, I think Ada would be a very good choice for number
> crunching, but from what I see, it is very little used in this area.
>
> --Nasser
May be possible reason is that a complex number is seen a composite type,
and how would one fix the type of its two component ? Float ? Fixed ? Both
the same ? Different ? And so on. Unless with a special ugly/heavy syntax,
difficult to image a way to simply declare a complex type in Ada (unless
you do it the C way : one type for all use, without constraints, and no
other choices).

From: Dmitry A. Kazakov on
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 11:05:16 +0200, Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57) wrote:

> Le Sat, 05 Jun 2010 10:00:07 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov
> <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> a �crit:
>> Another problem which worries me, is program changes. Let I modify the
>> program, the result is *another* program. How can I talk about the
>> "reliability" of what? Well, they share some code, but certainly we cannot
>> consider source lines random. E.g. Let I modify 0,01% of the source of 90%
>> "reliable" program. I can tell nothing about whether the result is 90%
>> reliable +/- factor * 0.01%. This model just does not work.
> So this is chaotic (and there is a science which can talk about it too).

Do you mean chaos theory here? In that context reliability must be
redefined. Well, I doubt that chaos theory could efficiently handle that.
Although most of programs as well as software developing processes are
indeed cyclic/iterative. One could try to apply the theory there.

Boarding a plane would you be glad to hear that the software developing
process used for its flight system wasn't random? It was CHAOTIC! (:-))

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Sat, 05 Jun 2010 11:30:08 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov
<mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> a écrit:
> Boarding a plane would you be glad to hear that the software developing
> process used for its flight system wasn't random? It was CHAOTIC! (:-))
In some way (despite the fact is should be all avoided), yes: at least
this is a sign that security matter know what to focus on. This end into a
very different situation than the one where it could just be said said
“really nobody know at all where a trouble is the most likely to occurs if
one ever happened”.