From: Simon Wright on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:

> 3. I never saw a good C compiler, probably because none was written in
> Ada (:-). The best was DEC C, I guess it wasn't in C (Maybe I am
> wrong)

Possibly BLISS.
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Wed, 26 May 2010 23:22:54 +0200, Simon Wright <simon(a)pushface.org> a
écrit:

> "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
>
>> 3. I never saw a good C compiler, probably because none was written in
>> Ada (:-). The best was DEC C, I guess it wasn't in C (Maybe I am
>> wrong)
>
> Possibly BLISS.

Seems to be a possible match at least
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLISS
http://compilers.iecc.com/comparch/article/87-07-029

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
From: J-P. Rosen on
Ludovic Brenta a �crit :
> I have a copy of the Ada 83 standard in French at home. A real
> collector's item :)

Note that it is not just a translation; it is a French standard, and an
integral part of the ISO standard 8652:1987 (at that time, standards had
to be published in two languages, with equal standardization status).

Actually, the reason why the ISO standard is 4 years older than the ANSI
standard is that it had to wait for the french translation.
J-P. Rosen (rosen(a)adalog.fr)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Thu, 27 May 2010 08:49:23 +0200, J-P. Rosen <rosen(a)adalog.fr> a écrit:
> Actually, the reason why the ISO standard is 4 years older than the ANSI
> standard is that it had to wait for the french translation.
Does it have something to deal with the AFNOR ? (Association française de
normalisation, i.e. French office of normalization).

Why is french so much important with international standards ? I've
already noted, from long ago, the Unicode standard gives an as good place
to french as it gives english.

Or is it due to Ichbia, who was french ? (as this one is the Ada standard
and he was one of the famous founders)

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
C is less crappy than C++ => you should switch from C++ to C.
From: J-P. Rosen on
Yannick Duch�ne (Hibou57) a �crit :
> Le Thu, 27 May 2010 08:49:23 +0200, J-P. Rosen <rosen(a)adalog.fr> a �crit:
>> Actually, the reason why the ISO standard is 4 years older than the ANSI
>> standard is that it had to wait for the french translation.
> Does it have something to deal with the AFNOR ? (Association fran�aise
> de normalisation, i.e. French office of normalization).
Yes, it is the official AFNOR/EN standard.

> Why is french so much important with international standards ? I've
> already noted, from long ago, the Unicode standard gives an as good
> place to french as it gives english.

ISO has three official languages: English, French and Russian. At that
time, a standard had to be published in two of these languages. Given
that the English version had been written by French people sponsored by
the US DoD, Russian was rapidly dismissed...

J-P. Rosen (rosen(a)adalog.fr)