From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) on
Le Fri, 04 Jun 2010 14:23:07 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov
<mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> a écrit:

> If you mean mathematical statistics, then its applicability depends on
> strict conditions. Prior these established the statistics (samples) of
> failures is just a collection of anecdotes...
As usual, with mathematics and logic, interpretation is an issue. The
interpretation here should be correlation (I am not arguing this is true
that software is less or more reliable than mechanical parts, as I don't
have needed materials to assert anything about it). Statistics are
intermediate results, and intermediate result are not always
interpretable, ok, you're right.

> If you mean "lies, damned lies, and statistics" then yes. (Did you know
> that 90% of people died in car accidents had eaten cucumbers shortly
> before
> the accident? (:-))
This is not even an implication, so it is unlikely this will legitimately
argue for a correlation. Here is why: “Had eaten cucumbers” may be an
antecedent of many other things, so this would not be a meaningful
correlation, and moreover “Had eaten cucumbers” may be an antecedent of
“accident occurred” as much as “no accident occurred at all”, so this does
not justify an implication or correlation. Well, I am relying on an
implicit here, because what is exactly missing, in your example, would
exactly be statistics about “Had eaten cucumbers” when “no accident
occurred at all”. Conclusion : one statistic is not relevant alone, it
needs others, forming a good coverage of different cases (logic needs its
food).

I was wrong just saying “statistics”, so the reformulation I suggest is
“this does not invalidate any noticed correlation” (statistics being just
a tool there, to help see correlation, and multiple statistics are needed
for various configurations).

I suppose I understand what you mean and was just wrong with my wordings..

Cheers

--
There is even better than a pragma Assert: a SPARK --# check.
--# check C and WhoKnowWhat and YouKnowWho;
From: Fritz Wuehler on
> > Banks get good software for their central money servers, because they
> > insist that they actually work, and are secure, and spend the money to
> > ensure that happens (and some of them are written in SPARK).
> And the others ?

None of the bank software I have seen has ever been written in Ada, much
less Spark. It's is 100% COBOL. They may have front-ends written in all
sorts of garbage languages (Java, etc.) but the financial processing is
COBOL and there is still some amount of assembler around.

Ada is better than COBOL except in one way. It is easier to write reports
(the bulk of financial processing) and define decimal (money) fields in
COBOL than Ada. It *could* have been used in financial processing, but
COBOL had two decades and a half of a head start.

From: Dirk Craeynest on
In article <e53f81c956a70a28ffbfdfeabd7606b6(a)msgid.frell.theremailer.net>
in the Usenet newsgroup comp.lang.ada, Fritz Wuehler

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html#Banking_and_Financial_Systems_
From: Duke Normandin on
On 2010-06-04, Fritz Wuehler <fritz(a)spamexpire-201006.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
>> > Banks get good software for their central money servers, because they
>> > insist that they actually work, and are secure, and spend the money to
>> > ensure that happens (and some of them are written in SPARK).
>> And the others ?
>
> None of the bank software I have seen has ever been written in Ada, much
> less Spark. It's is 100% COBOL. They may have front-ends written in all
> sorts of garbage languages (Java, etc.) but the financial processing is
> COBOL and there is still some amount of assembler around.
>
> Ada is better than COBOL except in one way. It is easier to write reports
> (the bulk of financial processing) and define decimal (money) fields in
> COBOL than Ada. It *could* have been used in financial processing, but
> COBOL had two decades and a half of a head start.

COBOL maybe! However, here in Canada, I'm aware that a lot of financial
institutions were set up to use Mumps (now M Technology) and they're still
using it. I believe the same is true in the U.S.A. Mumps is _still_ big in
the Health Care sector.
--
Duke Normandin
*** Tolerance becomes a crime, when applied to evil [Thomas Mann] ***

From: Stephen Leake on
"Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 05:08:06 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
>
>> "Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)" <yannick_duchene(a)yahoo.fr> writes:
>>
>>> Le Tue, 25 May 2010 04:02:20 +0200, Stephen Leake
>>> <stephen_leake(a)stephe-leake.org> a écrit:
>>
>>> What is CMM ?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_Maturity_Model

>>> I encounter difficulties interpreting this one : do you mean
>>> commercial applications or an airline company are typically more
>>> reliable than the one its planes ?
>>
>> I mean the software in embedded computers on an airplane is more
>> reliable than the mechanical components in the airplane.
>
> I wonder how would you (or anyone else) substantiate this claim.

Just on the basis of news reports of the causes of airplane crashes. To
my memory, none have been due to software.

> The technical problem is that mechanical components faults have a
> stochastic nature. I.e. you have a certain probability of fault (due
> to physical processes involved in production and function of the given
> component). On the contrary, a software fault is not stochastic,
> neither in its production nor at run-time. A given bug is either here
> or not.

Whether the bug is encountered is sometimes stochastic. But generally
you are correct.

> There is no probability associated with it. Isn't it comparing apples
> and oranges?

Yes. And they are both fruits, and can be compared to some extent. It's
not like trying to compare science fiction novels and oil wells.

--
-- Stephe