From: Lance on
JD wrote the following on 1/6/2008 15:20:
> History Fan wrote:
>> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I bet if you click it though it will tell you there are no updates.
>>> Joan
>>>
>>> "History Fan" <UnknownplacesonEarth(a)unknown11.com> wrote in message

>> The latest definitions I have are December 27, 2007. I'm not
>> sure about upgrading to Ad-Aware 2007. It annoys me a little bit that
>> the program requires the installation of an XP service. The only
>> thing Ad-Aware has ever found on my PC is tracking cookies.
>
> Can one turn off the XP service that Ad-Aware 2007 installs?

Do you mean the "aawservice.exe" process that you see in the task manager?

I've discovered you can disable it or switch it to manual but the
Ad-Aware 2007 application won't start without it. This service appears
to handle all of Ad-Aware's grunt work of scanning, updating, watching, etc.

If you'd like to try altering the service run status yourself click
Start, then Run then type "services.msc" in the Run box, click OK. Find
"Ad-Aware 2007 Service" in the resulting services window, right click on
this service then select properties. You can stop it and/or change the
startup status in the resulting window.

Lance
*****
From: Lance on

From: Ed on
On 04/01/08 16:30, Joan Archer wrote:
> They stopped supporting it at the end of the year so you will have to go
> to the new version if you want to use the free Ad-Aware 2007 program.
> Joan

Ad-Aware 2007 does not run under Windows 98SE. So I manually download
the latest updates for Ad-Aware SE from here:

http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/

Ed

From: JD on
Lance wrote:
> JD wrote the following on 1/6/2008 15:20:
>> History Fan wrote:
>>> "Joan Archer" <archer_joan(a)nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> The latest definitions I have are December 27, 2007. I'm not
>>> sure about upgrading to Ad-Aware 2007. It annoys me a little bit
>>> that the program requires the installation of an XP service. The
>>> only thing Ad-Aware has ever found on my PC is tracking cookies.
>>
>> Can one turn off the XP service that Ad-Aware 2007 installs?
>>

> Do you mean the "aawservice.exe" process that you see in the task manager?
>
> I've discovered you can disable it or switch it to manual but the
> Ad-Aware 2007 application won't start without it. This service appears
> to handle all of Ad-Aware's grunt work of scanning, updating, watching,
> etc.
>
> If you'd like to try altering the service run status yourself click
> Start, then Run then type "services.msc" in the Run box, click OK. Find
> "Ad-Aware 2007 Service" in the resulting services window, right click on
> this service then select properties. You can stop it and/or change the
> startup status in the resulting window.
>
> Lance
> *****
Thanks Lance. Any good XP user should know how to disable certain
services in XP.

--
JD..