From: Gerry on
Jimbo

Answer my questions and we can take it from there.

More background information would also help.

I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report . Open Disk
Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and click on Save
As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder and post a
copy. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more
informative.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Anna on

>> Jimbo wrote:
>> > I have a computer motherboard emachines T1090 with Windows XP. I
>> > bought it in 2002. Right now it has a Memory of 256 MB and would like
>> > to know if I can increase it to 512 MB. Appreciate your help.

Jimbo:
I'm virtually certain that desktop machine can accommodate up to 512 MB of
RAM. It has two memory slots and each one can hold 256 MB of PC100 SDRAM.
Check your motherboard's user manual re this.

But you're dealing here with a very old PC with a relatively slow processor
(by today's standards), and unless you have some special need for the
increased RAM (and I honestly couldn't imagine what it would be with that
machine), I wonder whether it would be wiser to save your money. I really
doubt that even with 512 MB of memory there would be a significant
performance increase in your day-to-day computer activities.

Also, it's not really clear about your current 256 MB of SDRAM. If there are
*two* modules of 128 SDRAM installed, then you would need *two* 256 MB RAM
modules to get you to 512 MB of RAM.

And there's another potential problem with those "elderly" machines. In many
instances the added RAM module has to be a precise duplicate (in terms of
make/model) of the installed RAM module, or it either won't work or cause
problems of one sort or another. So if you *do* purchase an additional
module make sure you have refund privileges.

Anyway, if you *do* decide to add add'l RAM, I would strongly advise you to
consult with eMachines tech support before you do so. Do *not* depend on the
Crucial info or any other website which lists specifications for this
machine.
Anna

From: Norman on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:45:23 -0000, "Gerry" <gerry(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>I would be interested in seeing a Disk Defragmenter report . Open Disk
>Defragmenter and click on Analyse. Select View Report and click on Save
>As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder and post a
>copy. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more
>informative.

I would be interested in knowing just how much fragmenting it takes to
really slow a machine down to the point where its owner begins to
complain.

I would guess that level is never reached and that disk defragmenting
as a cure for slow systems is way over-rated.

I have gone for as long as a year without defragmenting. When I ran
an analysis, it showed less than 20% fragmenting. I defragged just
for the heck of it - I didn't notice any slowness, I was just bored
and looking for something to do - and the pretty picture of my drive
looked better, but I didn't notice any pickup in speed or
"snappiness">

--
Norman
If people concentrated on the really
From: Gerry on
Norman

A Disk Defragment Report is a good source of background information.

Disk Defragmenting is only component of housekeeping but I have asked
for the Report for other reasons. If you read the whole thread you would
see the computer is marginal for Windows XP

--

Gerry
~~~~

From: Norman on
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:02:50 -0000, "Gerry" <gerry(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>Norman
>
>A Disk Defragment Report is a good source of background information.
>
>Disk Defragmenting is only component of housekeeping but I have asked
>for the Report for other reasons.

Thanks for the quick reply. What "background information" and "other
reasons" would be in the defrag report that would help to diagnose the
problem of a slow PC?

I would really like to know.

>If you read the whole thread you would
>see the computer is marginal for Windows XP

I did read the whole thread. I ran XP on a machine I built in 1999
that was powered by an original 600mhz Athlon and had only 256k of
RAM. I think you would call that "marginal", yet I had no complaints
about the system - especially it's slowness.

I just got the "itch" to upgrade everything a couple years ago.