From: Gerry on
Norman

Let's see what it reveals. You will most likely get a flavour regarding
computer use and programmes installed.

--

Gerry
~~~~

From: Norman on
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 00:55:03 -0000, "Gerry" <gerry(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>Norman
>
>Let's see what it reveals. You will most likely get a flavour regarding
>computer use and programmes installed.

IF the report is posted....

--
Norman
If people concentrated on the really
From: Anna on

"Gerry" <gerry(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> Norman
>
> A Disk Defragment Report is a good source of background information.
>
> Disk Defragmenting is only component of housekeeping but I have asked for
> the Report for other reasons. If you read the whole thread you would see
> the computer is marginal for Windows XP
> --
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England

Norman, Gerry (and anyone else who cares to listen)...
With respect to only the general topic of defragmenting (since the topic has
arisen!) and not bearing directly upon the OP's problem...

During the Win9x days there was a standing joke at the shop where I was
working as a computer technician. When we techs arrived at the shop bright &
early Monday mornings we would invariably see a number of customers (new &
old) standing in line outside our door with computers in their hands (as
well as lying at their feet) waiting for the shop's door to open. The
standing joke around the shop was "Looks like the defragmenters were busy
over the weekend, huh?".

Invariably many users who were having no problems with their PCs prior to
defragmenting their HDDs certainly did encounter problems of one sort or
another following their attempt at "defragmenting" their HDD. And it didn't
seem to matter whether the OS's defragmenting utility was used or whether a
third-party program had been used. In nearly every case the only "fix" was a
reformatting of the drive and a reinstallation of the OS. Now I have to
emphasize that the preceding events occurred during the Win9x days.

Admittedly (based upon our experience with the XP OS environment) those
problems arising from the defragmentation process going awry seem to have
pretty much disappeared. The XP defragmenter is apparently much more
reliable in that it doesn't seem to cause the mischief its predecessors
sometimes caused (or at least were culpable in some respects). Ditto for the
latest generation of third-party defragmenters based on limited experience
we've had with them.

How effective the defragmenting process is in achieving "real-life"
improvement of a system's performance is another story. In our experience,
very little, if anything, is gained by the great bulk of PC users. (There
was an interesting article on defragmenting in (I believe) PC World a few
years back. After rather exhaustive testing, they concluded that the
defragmenting process yielded no significant performance improvement
affecting the XP OS for the vast majority of users, whether the XP
integrated utility was used or a third-party defragmenter was employed in
the process.

When we're asked about the value of defragmenting one's HDD, our standard
response for must PC users is that by & large the process is unnecessary to
achieve better performance of one's system. But if you feel you *must*
"defragment", do so twice a year - on New Years Day and Independence Day
(we're talking USA here). That's more than sufficient in our opinion, again,
for the vast majority of PC users.

There are (naturally!) certain exceptions to the point-of-view I've
expressed above (at least based upon reports I've received from a number of
users). It seems (according to these reports) that if the user is heavily
engaged in decoding/encoding video files and/or creating, deleting, or
modifying a *huge* volume of files on a very frequent basis, then there
*might* be valid reasons for undertaking more-or-less routine defragmenting
operations.

I'm aware that contrary viewpoints will be expressed re this issue, so let
me hastily say that if you are one of those who regularly defragments their
HDD(s) (either through the "built-in" XP utility or some third-party
"defragmenter") and believes that by so doing your PC performance is truly
enhanced, then obviously you should continue to do so.
In no way would I wish to dissuade those who feel they're deriving some
value from regularly defragmenting their HDD(s
Anna

From: Daave on
> Jimbo
>
> According to this link the answer is no. You already have the maximum.
> http://www.shopping.com/xPF-E-Machines-T1090

However, according to this other link, the answer is YES!

http://www.crucial.com:80/store/listparts.aspx?model=T1090

To OP:

As you know, your PC is on the old side. However, if you intend on
keeping it for a while, $34 (or even $68) is a small investment for a
considerable performance boost.

From: Norman on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:16:31 -0500, "Anna" <myname(a)myisp.net> wrote:

>How effective the defragmenting process is in achieving "real-life"
>improvement of a system's performance is another story. In our experience,
>very little, if anything, is gained by the great bulk of PC users. (There
>was an interesting article on defragmenting in (I believe) PC World a few
>years back. After rather exhaustive testing, they concluded that the
>defragmenting process yielded no significant performance improvement
>affecting the XP OS for the vast majority of users, whether the XP
>integrated utility was used or a third-party defragmenter was employed in
>the process.

Thank you. I was all but sure of that based only on my own
experience, so I never bothered to look for reassurance. Today's
speedy drives and powerful CPUs more than make up for any speed
degradation that might occur in a fragmented drive.