From: Tim Perry on

"Marc Amsterdam" <reply(a)newsgroup.only> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Im looking to an alternative to the Philips-NXP NE5532n
> preferrably the Analog divice brand.
> Ive tried the NE5532AP *texas intruments( so far but they lack
> headroom. Anyone any thoughts_
>

> Cheers
>
> Marc

try a burr-brown opa2134

From: geoff on
Leon(a)nospam.com wrote:

> As far as your headroom problem, you must have a circuit with very
> tight specs... you aren't meeting the drive requirements or
> something... can you get a schematic? Did you check your power supply
> for any voltage droop? Maybe those ops are drawing power, or even
> oscillating!

Yes, the 'headroom' ascertion seems a bit odd to me too.

It would be nice to know exactly how this apparent failing actually
manifests.

geoff

From: Phil Allison on

"geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz>

> Yes, the 'headroom' ascertion seems a bit odd to me too.
>
> It would be nice to know exactly how this apparent failing actually
> manifests.

** The XTA DP226 displays a parameter called "Headroom".

Obviously allows one to tell immediately if a new input IC is up to scratch
or not .....

..... Phil

From: geoff on
Phil Allison wrote:
> "geoff" <geoff(a)nospam-paf.co.nz>
>

>> Yes, the 'headroom' ascertion seems a bit odd to me too.
>>
>> It would be nice to know exactly how this apparent failing actually
>> manifests.
>

> ** The XTA DP226 displays a parameter called "Headroom".
>
> Obviously allows one to tell immediately if a new input IC is up to
> scratch or not .....

Not from what I read. - it's not some sort of internal self-test of levels
at all.

From the descriptions of the various instances of 'headroom' in the manual,
they are simply level indications/warnings wrt max unclipped output level.

But I only had time to skim the manual and as usual you are doubtlessly
right.

geoff

From: Phil Allison on

"geoff"
> Phil Allison wrote:
>

>>> Yes, the 'headroom' ascertion seems a bit odd to me too.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to know exactly how this apparent failing actually
>>> manifests.
>>

>> ** The XTA DP226 displays a parameter called "Headroom".
>>
>> Obviously allows one to tell immediately if a new input IC is up to
>> scratch or not .....
>

> Not from what I read.

** What do you think my " ..... " meant ????

> From the descriptions of the various instances of 'headroom' in the
> manual, they are simply level indications/warnings wrt max unclipped
> output level.

** Easy to misinterpret such display - is it not?

...... Phil