From: bob urz on
Marc Amsterdam wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im looking to an alternative to the Philips-NXP NE5532n
> preferrably the Analog divice brand.
> Ive tried the NE5532AP *texas intruments( so far but they lack
> headroom. Anyone any thoughts_
>

> Cheers
>
> Marc
what does like headroom mean?
is this for replacement or a from scratch project?

bob
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on
> what does like headroom mean?

Headroom is the space between the steering wheel and my lap :-0
ba da boom
George

From: bob urz on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>> what does like headroom mean?
>
> Headroom is the space between the steering wheel and my lap :-0
> ba da boom
> George

Its not how much space in the bathroom on a tour bus with invited
special guests on board???

bob
From: Arny Krueger on
"Marc Amsterdam" <reply(a)newsgroup.only> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Im looking to an alternative to the Philips-NXP NE5532n
> preferrably the Analog divice brand.
> Ive tried the NE5532AP *texas intruments( so far but they
> lack headroom. Anyone any thoughts_

Tell us about the application.

In normal audio circuits, the headroom is set by the power supply voltages
and gain staging. Neither of those are changed when you change out good op
amps. NE5532 are good op amps - a classic and still widely used despite
their age.

<relishing the fact that Marc being a good Phildoite probably has me
killfiled and/or will grant me no credibilty, and thus will shoot himself in
the foot by ignoring this really helpful post>

From: Arny Krueger on

> the aplication is an XTA DP226 which had its OPamps blown
> by some ignorant stupid git. who managed to put RS485
> through a DMX repeater and in the outputs of the XTA. the
> NE5532n dont like that.

DMX which is essentially RS 422 is not a good thing for most line level
outputs. Neither is mic + phantom.

But you already knew that!

> The xta techdept is sendin some NE5532n over, for the
> time being i use the Ti NE5532ap but they do lack
> headroom in given application though the specs do not
> differ......

Details. please. Which spec do you see as being a problem?

> I was wondering if anyone had experience putting
> different brands opamps to use as they all seem to have
> the same specs but turn out to be quite different.

I've done a ton of scientific expermentation related to that issue, both
listening tests and bench tests, and it doesn't bear out many anecdotes that
one hears.

> to validate the question

> the NXPphilips ones are becoming a hard to source item
> here.

Philips sold off their semiconductor business recently. That may have some
impact on availability.