From: Inertial on
"Henry Wilson DSc." <HW@..> wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:01:09 +1100, "Inertial" <relatively(a)rest.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Henry Wilson DSc." <HW@..> wrote in message

>>> That doesn't alter the fact that if a particular observer sees two rays
>>> closing
>>> on a particular observer at different speeds those rays cannot possibly
>>> be
>>> traveling at the same speed.
>>
>>But he doesn't
>
> If a source is at rest wrt an observer, its light MUST close on that
> observer
> at c.

If you mean the speed relative to the observer is c, then of course that is
true, regardless of the speed of the source

If you mean the closing speed as measured by some other non-co-moving
observer, then it will not be c

> Any claim that it doesn't is bogus.

You're the only one that was claiming otherwise. You going back on your
position now?

From: Inertial on
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:34:04 -0700 (PDT), PD <thedraperfamily(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Oct 30, 4:29 pm, HW@..(Henry Wilson DSc). wrote:

>>> You claim that the closing speed of S2 on O2 is not c is the type of
>>> fairytale
>>> one would expect to hear in a madhouse or a mosque....or, of course, in
>>> the
>>> home of an aetherist..
>>
>>Nonsense. In the frame drawn, light is traveling from right to left at
>>c. In the frame drawn, O2 is traveling from right to left at v.
>>By *definition* of closing speed (you perhaps should look it up), it
>>is c-v.
>>
>>Closing speed is DEFINED as the numerical difference between the
>>speeds of two objects, as seen by an observer that is neither of those
>>objects.

It doesn't HAVE to be neither of those objects In the case where it is one
of the objects (or co=moving with one of them) than the closing speed
degenerates to relative speed.

> Funny! that sounds just like Netonian definition of speed.

No .. its nothing like the Newtonian definition of speed. One wouldn't
define speed as the difference in speeds. You're such an imbecile Henry ..
is there anything you can get right?

From: Androcles on

"Henry Wilson DSc ." <HW@..> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:34:04 -0700 (PDT), PD <thedraperfamily(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Oct 30, 4:29 pm, HW@..(Henry Wilson DSc). wrote:

>>> You claim that the closing speed of S2 on O2 is not c is the type of
>>> fairytale
>>> one would expect to hear in a madhouse or a mosque....or, of course, in
>>> the
>>> home of an aetherist..
>>
>>Nonsense. In the frame drawn, light is traveling from right to left at
>>c. In the frame drawn, O2 is traveling from right to left at v.
>>By *definition* of closing speed (you perhaps should look it up), it
>>is c-v.
>>
>>Closing speed is DEFINED as the numerical difference between the
>>speeds of two objects, as seen by an observer that is neither of those
>>objects.
>
> Funny! that sounds just like Netonian definition of speed.

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS.

From: rotchm on

> That doesn't alter the fact that if a particular observer sees two rays closing
> on a particular observer at different speeds those rays cannot possibly be
> traveling at the same speed.

SR says that an observer will memasure the speed of light to be c
relative to HIMSELF, not "relative to" someone else.
From: rotchm on
> If a source is at rest wrt  an observer, its light MUST close on that observer
> at c.
> Any claim that it doesn't is bogus.

Thats not what SR says. You are confused about what SR says.

If a source is at rest wrt an observer, its light MUST close on that
observer
at c, AS MEASURED BY THAT SAME OBSERVER.

And moreover, "closing speed" is different from "speed". You cannot
replace "speed" by "cosing speed" in SR. Dont mixup the meaning of
words...