From: Inertial on
"kenseto" <kenseto(a)erinet.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 1, 3:43 am, Ilja <ilja.schmel...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > No....SR claims that EVERY OBSERVER will measure the speed of light to
>> > be istropic. LET claims that only the ether observer will measure the
>> > speed of light to be isotropic.
>>
>> False. LET claims that our rulers and clocks are distorted in such
>> a way that, despite the fact that true light speed would be
>> anisotropic,
>> the light speed as measured with the distorted rulers and clocks
>> appears isotropic.
>
> Question:
> Does the ruler contracts differently when it is not oriented in the
> direction of absolute motion?

How do you mean differently? The compression is only in the direction of
absolute motion in LET. There is no compression in the directions
orthogonal to the motion.

> If the answer is yes then it can not
> give isotropy of the speed of light.

It does.

From: Inertial on
"Henry Wilson DSc." <HW@..> wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 07:35:09 -0800 (PST), kenseto <kenseto(a)erinet.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Oct 31, 3:43 pm, HW@..(Henry Wilson DSc). wrote:

>>> OK let's get this straight.
>>>
>>> We know that the true closing speed of S1's light on O1 is c.... because
>>> the
>>> two are MAR.
>>> There is a theory called SR that says that closing speed is c-v to an
>>> observer,
>>> O3, who is moving wrt S1.
>>
>>The closing speed between any object and light is c as measured in the
>>object's frame of reference. If an observer sends a light pulse toward
>>an object then the closing speed between that light pulse and the
>>object is c+v or c-v.
>
> I assume the object is moving at v wrt the absolute aether.

There is no absolute aether in SR. What theory is it you are
misunderstanding this time?

> In that case, you will argue that the object's rods and clocks are
> contracted
> such that they will always MEASURE OWLS to be c...so your first statement
> is
> correct in aether theories...

In LET .. yes. Most other aether theories are already refuted

> The second statement says that the closing speed is independent of source
> speed
> and so the closing speed is just the sum of c and the object's absolute
> speed
> wrt the aether.

No .. the sum of c and the object's speed relative to the observer

> So you have correctly stated the aether theory case.
>
> LET is such a nice theory. What a pity there is no aether.
>
> There IS one thing that worries me.

Ie you don't understand. I think your estimate of 'one' is a little low

> S.......................................-v<-O1.............O2->v
>
> Here, source S is at rest in the absolute aether.

So we are talking about LET rather that SR now?

> O1 and O2 are moving at v in
> opposite directions relative to the aether.

OK

> How can they both measure the speed of light from S to be always c when
> its
> closing speeds are c+v and c-v and their rods and clocks contract by the
> same
> amount according to the LTs?

Due to the compressing of objects and fields and the slowing of all
processes that happens as a result of motion through the aether. That also
results in clocks the appear synchronised to observers moving with them
actually NOT being synchronised. As with SR .. you need to consider all
three things .. the contraction/compression, the time dilation/slowing, and
the change in clock synchronization. If you consider only one or two in
isolation you get contradictions .. you need to consider all three as that
is what both SR and LET require. Gees .. that's pretty basic LET and SR
stuff.

From: Inertial on
> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 15:08:48 -0800 (PST), PD <thedraperfamily(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Nov 1, 3:27 pm, HW@..(Henry Wilson DSc). wrote:

>>> Careful. There is only one relative speed involved.
>>
>>There's one relative speed and a closing speed. They are different
>>things, as they are defined differently.
>
> They are actually the same.

Nope. Not in any theory. Because the definitions are different. One
involves a singe object and an observer, the other involves two objects and
an observer. Though they will always have the same value if Galilean
transforms apply. That is due to the nature of the transforms, not because
the definitions are the same (which clearly they cannot possibly be).

>>You seem to be having a vocabulary problem here.
>>
>>It's a little like someone showing you a bushel of styrofoam that
>>weighs a half a kilogram and a brick of steel that weighs 5 kilogram,
>>and you fussing that someone told you that there was more steel there
>>than styrofoam and someone else told you there was more styrofoam than
>>steel. "There is only one 'bigger' here," you mutter.
>
> not a good analogy...

But it is. You think the closing speed and relative speed are both just the
one thing .. speed. And you can't get it into your head that they are
different concepts.

From: Inertial on
> On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:56:02 +1100, "Inertial" <relatively(a)rest.com> wrote:
>
>>"Henry Wilson DSc." <HW@..> wrote in message

>>> I assume the object is moving at v wrt the absolute aether.
>>
>>There is no absolute aether in SR. What theory is it you are
>>misunderstanding this time?
>>
>>> In that case, you will argue that the object's rods and clocks are
>>> contracted
>>> such that they will always MEASURE OWLS to be c...so your first
>>> statement
>>> is
>>> correct in aether theories...
>>
>>In LET .. yes. Most other aether theories are already refuted
>>
>>> The second statement says that the closing speed is independent of
>>> source
>>> speed
>>> and so the closing speed is just the sum of c and the object's absolute
>>> speed
>>> wrt the aether.
>>
>>No .. the sum of c and the object's speed relative to the observer
>>
>>> So you have correctly stated the aether theory case.
>>>
>>> LET is such a nice theory. What a pity there is no aether.
>>>
>>> There IS one thing that worries me.
>>
>>Ie you don't understand. I think your estimate of 'one' is a little low
>>
>>> S.......................................-v<-O1.............O2->v
>>>
>>> Here, source S is at rest in the absolute aether.
>>
>>So we are talking about LET rather that SR now?
>
> I was all along. I was replying to Seto.
>
>>> O1 and O2 are moving at v in
>>> opposite directions relative to the aether.
>>
>>OK
>>
>>> How can they both measure the speed of light from S to be always c when
>>> its
>>> closing speeds are c+v and c-v and their rods and clocks contract by the
>>> same
>>> amount according to the LTs?
>>
>>Due to the compressing of objects and fields and the slowing of all
>>processes that happens as a result of motion through the aether. That
>>also
>>results in clocks the appear synchronised to observers moving with them
>>actually NOT being synchronised. As with SR .. you need to consider all
>>three things .. the contraction/compression, the time dilation/slowing,
>>and
>>the change in clock synchronization. If you consider only one or two in
>>isolation you get contradictions .. you need to consider all three as that
>>is what both SR and LET require. Gees .. that's pretty basic LET and SR
>>stuff.
>
> I don't think you explained that very well.

Your problems understanding what people post are legendary

> Maybe you meant this:
> Each observer sets up two separated and presyched clocks with which he
> intends
> to measure the OWLS of S's (or any light) light.

How does he sync the clocks?

> The clocks are separated by a rod, the length of which is physically
> contracted
> by gamma.

Yeup

> The four clocks are also slowed by the same factor gamma and so they
> get the same value for the speed of light through the aether.

Yeup .. one you take into account the RoS that is implicit in your
synchronising of the clocks.

> That is OK if there is an aether.

As we were talking about LET, then there is

> The theory is plausible.
> However, Einstein merely turned that conclusion of LET into a postulate

LET has a 'postulate' that motion thru the aether compresses all object and
all types of fields, and slows all types of processes and as a result also
puts clocks our of synch. Given that there is no evidence of such an
aether, there is no good reason to assume motion through it would do that,
other than it then gives you a constant speed for light.

> and
> became famous as a result. SR is just LET in another cloak.

Nope.

> It is just as incorrect, too.

Nope. Not that you've ever been able to show .. despite your so-called
'embarrassing question'.

From: rotchm on

> >Note that in your example, you havent specified wrt which observer you
> >want the speeds. ALWAYS specify the observer (frame).
>
> I always do. The observer is YOU looking at the screen.

Liar. You have not specified the observer. Google kept a record.

> According to SR, Diaper and inertial, the closing speed is c + vsin(t/T)

You are missing information. That is the closing speed between which
two things and relative to which frame? Be specific.

First diag: Relative to me: O at rest, S2 SinpleHarmonic(SH). (L)ight
sent from O2 toward O.
Closing speed between O and L ( wrt me) is the speed of L (wrt me) -
speed of O: c - 0 = c.
Closing speed between L and O2 (wrt me)is c +- v*sin(...)

Second diag: Relative to me: O is SH and S2 is at rest.
Closing speed between O and L ( wrt me) is c +- v*sin(...)
Closing speed between L and O2 (wrt me)is c - 0 = c.

Note that in the calculation of the closing speeds, I specified which
two "thing" we are comparing the speeds of, and I specified the
observer (ME). *You* must do the same when you discuss such matters.