From: Virgil on

From: Tony Orlow on
imaginatorium(a)despammed.com wrote:
> Tony Orlow wrote:
>> Randy Poe wrote:
>
> ... much, leading nowhere.
>
> Tony,
>
> Would you care to answer me some questions? No tricks or anything, just
> something about what we would call graphs in the x-y plane?
>
> Here's a starter:
>
> Consider a (notional, theoretical, mathematical, not physical) x-y
> plane. That is, an area in which there is a point (0,0) in some
> particular place, an x-axis, y-axis, and points are identified by
> coordinates x and y, using (in normal maths) real values for these
> coordinates. Consider (for convenience) that this plane is embedded in
> a notional graphics application, with a "Fill" function. So if we draw
> the circle x^2 + y^2 = 49 (centre origin, (constant! Zick, be quiet!)
> radius 7), then click with the Fill function on the point (2,1), it
> fills the circle, and no paint spills outside that radius 7.
>
> Now suppose we have the graphs of x=2 and x=5. Vertical lines,
> extending up and down without limit. Suppose we click with the Fill
> function on the point (3, 4), what would you say happens? Obviously
> paint fills the vertical strip of width 3. Would you say that any paint
> was able to "spill" around the (nonexistent!) "top" of either of the
> graphs, and somehow fill more of the plane than this strip, or would
> you say we just get a (vertically) unbounded strip of blue? (Goddabe
> blue!)
>
> If you care to answer, I'd like to ask one or two more similar
> questions. If you don't want to bother, please say, and I will save my
> time.
>
> Brian Chandler
> http://imaginatorium.org

I'd have to agree that it would fill the strip only. Proceed, but it
would be nice to know the context of the question.

Tony
From: Virgil on
In article <451a8f41(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> Virgil wrote:
> > In article <45193e6f(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> > Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> >> Well, Han, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that reconciliation
> >> is hopeless. Is it hopeless to reconcile the wave nature of elementary
> >> entities with their particle nature?
> >
> > It is close to hopeless to expect those who reject the law of the
> > excluded middle (constructionists) and those who insist on it
> > (formalists) to agree.
> >

> If neither can appreciate the other's point, perhaps. Some christians
> get along quite well with some muslims.

Only by agreeing to disagree.

> The question boils down to whether 0^0 is 1.

0^0 is, in any particular context, what it is defined to be.
There are contexts in which it is more useful to have it mean 1 and
others where it is more useful to have it mean 0.

> >> There is confusion about my "definition" of infinitesimals, because I
> >> can see the validity both in nilpotent infinitesimals and in those that
> >> are further infinitely divisible.
> >
> > Until TO can come up with an axiom system which simultaneously allows
> > his infinitesimals to be both nilpotent and not, he is in trouble.
> >

> For purposes of measure on the finite scale, infinitesimals can be
> considered nilpotent. That's all. Do you disagree?

I disagree that scale changes can convert between zero and non-zero.

There are approximation methods is which products of small quantities
are regarded as negligible in comparison to the quantities themselves,
but they are always just approximations.
From: Tony Orlow on
Virgil wrote:
> In article <451a891f(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
> Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> Virgil wrote:

>>> Only if science is a subset of mathematics.
>> There is no science without mathematics, if that's what you mean.
>
> There are certainly areas of study which call themselves sciences which
> are at most peripherally mathematical, such as much of psychology.

Psychology (and I've studied it a bit) is only a science to the extent
that it employs analysis. Most cognitive science uses at least
statistics in order to establish any kind of certainty in its findings.
I don't consider Freudian Analysis to be science. Do you?
From: Virgil on
In article <451a8ff5(a)news2.lightlink.com>,
Tony Orlow <tony(a)lightlink.com> wrote:

> David R Tribble wrote:
> > Tony Orlow wrote:
> >> For the sake of this argument, we can talk about infinite reals, of
> >> which infinite whole numbers are a subset.
> >
> > What are these "infinite reals" and "infinite whole numbers" that you
> > speak of so much?
> >
> > If you've got a set containing the finite naturals and the "infinite
> > naturals", how do you define it? N is the set containing 0 and all
> > of its successors, so what is your set?
> >

> The very same, with no restriction of finiteness. Any T-riffic number
> has successor. :)

So TO's set contains more members that it contains?

N is either limited to containing only finite members or not so limited,
but cannot be both simultaneously.

Unless there are no infinite naturals.