From: Han de Bruijn on
Randy Poe wrote, about the Balls in a Vase problem:

> It definitely empties, since every ball you put in is
> later taken out.

And _that_ individual calls himself a physicist?

Han de Bruijn

From: Han de Bruijn on
Tony Orlow wrote:

> In math, it's a whole other world, but it's related to science. They
> both have to be consistent. Math creates science, and science guides
> math. It's like yin yang, Man. :)

It's the other way around as well: science creates math, and math guides
science.

Han de Bruijn

From: Virgil on
In article <d12a9$451b74ad$82a1e228$6053(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Randy Poe wrote, about the Balls in a Vase problem:
>
> > It definitely empties, since every ball you put in is
> > later taken out.
>
> And _that_ individual calls himself a physicist?
>
> Han de Bruijn

Does Han claim that there is any ball put in that is not taken out?
From: Virgil on
In article <40af7$451b758f$82a1e228$6630(a)news1.tudelft.nl>,
Han de Bruijn <Han.deBruijn(a)DTO.TUDelft.NL> wrote:

> Tony Orlow wrote:
>
> > In math, it's a whole other world, but it's related to science. They
> > both have to be consistent. Math creates science, and science guides
> > math. It's like yin yang, Man. :)
>
> It's the other way around as well: science creates math, and math guides
> science.

Only in the minds of scientists, who are prejudiced in favor of
themselves.
From: Han de Bruijn on
Tony Orlow wrote:

> MoeBlee wrote:
>
>> Tony Orlow wrote:
>>
>>> Constructivism and Axiomatism are two sides of a coin. They can be
>>> reconciled in larger framework, I think.
>>
>> I don't know what your definition of 'axiomatism' is, but there are
>> axiomatic systems for constructive mathematics.
>
> I dunno. I was responding to Han's comment. I think he means
> constructive concepts vs. axiomatic declarations.

It's a priorities issue. Do axioms have to dictate what constructivism
should be like? Should constructivism be tailored to the objectives of
axiomatics? I think not.

Han de Bruijn